KIRKOSWALD CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1327059

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: KIRKOSWALD CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KIRKOSWALD CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 10:11:43.

Location

Statutory Address: KIRKOSWALD CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Kirkoswald

National Grid Reference: NY 55946 41021

Details

NY 55950 41020 KIRKOSWALD KIRKOSWALD NY 55 41

12/65 Kirkoswald Castle 27.12.67 II

Castle in ruins. Late C15 incorporating earlier buildings for the Dacre family. Large blocks of Penrith red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth. Remains of 3 towers and part of the hall, with other foundations below ground level, proved by excavation. 3 storey angle garderobe tower has pointed ground floor entrance and small lancet openings on 2 faces; facing stones have individual mason's marks. Inner wall has various garderobe entrances, one with chamfered lintel. Fragments remain of the adjoining hall walls. One other angle tower stands 2 storeys high with vaulted basement and first floor window, but all facing stone removed above ground level. Vaulted basement of a similar corresponding angle tower remains, but no walls are visible above ground. Encircling moat is early C16 and is complete. Building abandoned in late C16 and demolition began in 1604, with materials taken to Naworth Castle and other stone finding its way into many buildings in Kirkoswald. See, Curwen, Castles and Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p150-153.

Listing NGR: NY5594641021

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 73491

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 150-153

End of official listing