Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of 38,40 AND 42, MARKET PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327092 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:46:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Allerdale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 12259 30745


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012

NY 1230 1/77

MARKET PLACE Nos 38, 40 and 42

Formerly listed as: MARKET PLACE, Nos 40 to 46 (even)


Former house, converted into shops and empty at time of inspection (September 1989). Early to mid-C16, refurbished and extended in 1958, with mid-C19 altera- tions. Rubble rendered to front range, much patched in brick to rear; Welsh slate gable-end roofs. Plan and development. Originally a 3-room, cross- passage plan with external stair turret to rear of passage; in 1598 the house, believed to be the residence of the Percy family's agent in Cumberland, received a plaster ceiling to the principal 1st floor room, and it may be that the rear wing (forming an L-shaped plan overall) was added at this time. 2 storeys throughout. Exterior. front elevation: regular 3-window hornless sash range, 1st floor with sashes in reveals, 2 with 16 panes, the third with 4; ground floor with 3 mid-C19 shopfronts (pilasters and cornices, 2-light plate-glass windows) and contemporary half-glazed and panelled doors. Left-hand end brick stack; stone coping high above present roof-level indicates original use of the thatch. Rear: Main range with no windows; C19 lean to; stair turret in angle between range and wing, rebuilt in brick, under catslide. Rear wing with much brick infill: 3 1st floor windows with sashes in reveals, 2 with revised stone surround; ground floor with modern doorway, another doorway blocked in brick, and window to right. End stack, part rendered. Clear masonry joint between front range and wing visible from side alley (E). Interior: Much early work survives. Ground floor flagged throughout, but substantially re-arranged when converted to shops (although retaining the origi- nal 3 units). 1st floor. Principal room (to left): Plaster ceiling (damaged) dated 1598, single ribs forming connected quatrefoils containing various devices (fleur de lys, animals, the Percy crescent, and the initials AM with knot); large royal coat of arms over blocked fireplace. Stairs (later c.1800) with turned balusters. Dividing this room from the next is a plain plank and muslin screen. Centre room with stone 4-centred arched doorway in rear wall (origi- nally leading into stairs, now removed). Simple slate fire surround to right- hand room. Rear wing: fireplaces with simple stone surrounds, one with oven. 1st floor: one room with cyma recta moulded plaster cornice and (original) plain plaster ceiling. Roof: possibly of 2 builds from E to W (left to right) 2 trusses with pegged and morticed principals and cambered ties; third truss (over plank and muslin screen), king-post and queen struts; 4th truss, principals and cambered tie; 5th truss, principals with collar. This building is a remarkable survival in Cumbria of a C16 town house with 2 plaster ceilings, plank and muslin screen, intact roof structure and various other features survi- ving, and with an attractive mid-C19 front elevation in addition.

All the listed Bulildings in Market Place form a group with Kirkgate Corner, St Helen's Street.

Listing NGR: NY1226130747


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15415/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Cann. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].