CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1327187
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327187.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 08:46:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Workington
National Grid Reference:
NX 99426 25701

Details

NX 92 NE WORKINGTON CHURCH ROAD (North side) Harrington

5/34 Church of St Mary 6.6.51 II

Parish Church. 1885 on medieval site with 1905-7 tower. Quarry-faced pink St Bees sandstone with calciferous sandstone quoins and red sandstone dressings. Graduated Welsh slate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 6-bay nave with square 3-storey west tower and 4-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower/porch has roll-moulded west doorway with 2-light ground-floor Tudor-style windows and 3-light Tudor bell openings. Corbelled battlemented parapet with angle water spouts. Nave and chancel have Y-tracery windows. Interior of porch has C14 octagonal font with later incised date 1634. Royal Arms dated 1810. Reused C12 tower arch. Nave has 2 medieval graveslabs built into north wall. Open timber roof. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Fragment of C10 cross.

Listing NGR: NX9942625701

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72256
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09402/21
Rights: © Mr Gordon Furness. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].