- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327216 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 22:03:34.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Allerdale (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
NY 24 SW ALLHALLOWS Mealsgate
Tower house now private house. Partly C14 and C15 with alterations dated and inscribed on stone under coat-of-arms LANCELOTUS SALKELD FILIUS THOMAE SALKELD HOC FIERI FECIT 1589; further alterations by Anthony Salvin dated and inscribed on rainwater heads GM 1861 (George Moore). Extremely thick walls of mixed red and calciferous sandstone rubble, partly squared and coursed, under battlemented parapet and angle turret with flush quoins. Tower has graduated greenslate roof between parapets; hall range under graduated greenslate roof with coped gable and ball finials; stone chimney stacks. 3-storey, 2-bay tower with 2-storey, 3-bay hall range to right, which by the coursing of the stone appears contemporary with the tower. C19 plank door under C19 Tudor arch inscribed (by George Moore) LET IT PLEASE THEE TO BLESS THE HOUSE OF THY SERVANT, with original C16 hoodmould inscribed TS on label stops. 2-light Tudor style windows are partly C16, but some are completely C19. Small carved stone coat-of-arms built into wall at first floor level. Projection to left linked with 1861-1907 extension, (demolished 1962 leaving only foundation courses). Window to left is in C19 blocked first-floor doorway to extension. Hall has C19 ground floor windows. Central blocked C16 doorway above, has hoodmould with coat-of-arms label stops. Original 3-light Tudor window to left under hoodmould with T.S. label stops. End wall right has small C16 carved-stone coat-of-arms. Rear wall of Tower has blocked ground-floor Tudor window. Small chamfered-surround window to left and blocked openings above originally lit newel staircase. All other windows are C19 Tudor style. C19 uninscribed panel at first floor level. Rear wall of hall has C15 chamfered-surround ground floor window with 3-light Tudor window above under hoodmould. Interior of tower has extensive C19 alterations. Newel staircase from second floor to parapet, was originally from ground floor and continued up into turret. Ground floor of hall has fireplace dated and inscribed W. & L. P.M. (Parkin-Moore) 1900. Upper floor room has Tudor-style stone fireplace and panelled plaster ceiling inscribed on central cartouche G. & A.M. Was in Salkeld hands until 1746 when it fell into ruins. Restored by George Moore after purchase in 1858. Sold to County Council after World War II, who passed it to the Civil Defence Corps for demolition training in l960's. Sold by Council and now owned by the original owners Parkin-Moore. See J.F. Curwen, Castles & Towns of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, pp405-6; Whitehall in Cumberland, 1865 pp l-28.
Listing NGR: NY2017041598
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Whitehall in Cumberland, (1865), 28
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 405-406
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing