Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327240 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:04:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Allerdale (District Authority)
Blennerhasset and Torpenhow
National Grid Reference:
NY 20578 39807



11/12 Church of St Michael

11.4.67 I

Parish Church. Early C12 with mid C12 and C13 extensions, C15 and C17 alterations; restorations of 1882 and 1913. Roughly-coursed mixed sandstone on chamfered plinth under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables. 3-bay nave with aisles, north transept, open west bellcote and south porch; lower 3-bay chancel. 1882 gabled porch has blocked south door with present door in Tudor-style surround to side. Blocked west doorway with 2-light C15 window above. South aisle has hollow-chamfered 2-light windows, that in east wall having round head under hoodmould. Battlemented parapet. North aisle has blocked flat-headed doorway and late C19 2-light window. 3-light tracery window in north transept. Chancel has narrow round-headed Norman windows in north wall and similar blocked windows in east and south walls, with replacing lancet in south wall and intersecting-traceried 3-light east window. Interior of nave has round-column arcade under round arches with Norman carved responds. Norman south doorway has columned surround with carved capitals under zigzag and rope arch, over which is a sundial dated 1871. Small medieval graveslab in porch, others used as lintel for west window and 2 in the blocking of the west door flanking a C17 inscribed stone T.T. A.T. Carved Norman font on later stem. C17 painted panelled-wood ceiling was given by Thomas Addison in 1689 and is thought to have come from the hall of one of the Livery Companies in London. Norman chancel arch of 2 orders of zigzags on columns with carved capitals. Open timber roof in north transept has date 1614 and initials. 1966 vestry screen. South aisle wall plaque to Reverend Thomas Nicholson, former vicar of the parish, 1735. Chancel has C19 or C20 panelled ceiling. Tomb recess in south wall probably contained medieval effigy now in south aisle. Aumbry in east wall and piscina with sun motif. Panelled choir stalls 1882; all other furnishings and fittings are C20.

Listing NGR: NY2057439806


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07930/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Maddison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].