CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1327246

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327246 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 20:38:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Sebergham

National Grid Reference: NY3640941849

Details

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Church town

9/163 Church of St Mary

11.4.67 II*

Parish church. Medieval with repairs of 1774 and 1785, tower 1825 and 1905 restoration. Mixed large and small blocks of red sandstone. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables. Thin 3-storey west tower/porch; 3-bay nave and lower single-bay chancel. Side entrance in tower has alternate-block surround and voussoirs; external stone steps to first floor west doorway, with louvred vents above, under battlemented parapet with pinnacles. Nave has blocked segmental-arched north door. 2-light Tudor window and original lancet window. South wall has been heavily restored with 2- and 3-light 1905 windows. Chancel has 4 original lancet windows. 3-light east window of 1905. Interior of nave: open timber ceiling of 1905 and 3-light oriel window over west door of same date. Wall plaques to various local families, one to Thomas Watson 1823 by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson with sculptured panel after Fuseli's Three Witches (illustrated by Pevsner, Buildings of England, Cumberland and Westmorland volume, plate 57). Chancel has flat Tudor-style timber ceiling. Lancet windows have rear arches. Wall plaque with coats-of-arms to Thomas Denton, 1616.

Listing NGR: NY3640941849

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72471

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, (1967)

End of official listing