CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327333.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:36:30.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 10440 59797
LOSTWITHIEL CHURCH LANE, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
10/60 Church of St Bartholomew
Parish church. C13 tower, spire of early C14, the rest of later C14; the nave and south aisle of one build, the north aisle and porch later C14. Clerestory windows restored or renewed probably early C17. Vestry and substantial restoration of late C19, with C20 repair to tower and chancel east window. Slatestone rubble with granite and limestone dressings, base of tower in smaller random rubble. C19 slate roofs with ridge coping tiles. West tower, nave with unusually short chancel, which does not appear to have been truncated; south aisle and south porch, north aisle and north porch; north vestry. Tower in 3 stages with spire, with setback buttresses and buttresses to west; on the ground floor a public way passed through from north to south until 1878. One west buttress extends as far as the relieving arch from a former window at first stage. To south, the ground floor has a 4-centred arched doorway with inner chamfered arch and relieving arch, C19 double doors; above a tall chamfered lancet with relieving arch, and similar lancet to north. To west, granite chamfered weatherings to tall plinth, and to north, south and west similar weatherings to top of first stage. Second stage has similar lancet each side, with limestone long and short quoins, set back to top stage to north and south. The third stage is broached, with paired roll- moulded lancets with slate louvres, clock to north and south and broached corners. The broached corners recede to the alternate faces of the octagonal bell stage; each face of the bell stage is gabled, has a stone finial and 2-light openings with a panel of 4 quatrefoils at the centre and a quatrefoil in each gable. The stone octagonal spire above has gabled lucarnes with finials and a weathervane over the spire finial. Nave and chancel in one, the east gable with large 5-light window with intersecting tracery and 4-centred arched head; to north and south, 4 clerestory windows, each a triple lancet with 2-centred arched heads. South aisle of 4 bays, with porch in second bay from west; lean-to roof and buttressess with slate weatherings. Three 3-light window with cusped lights and flat heads, 2nd window from east of 4 lights with cinquefoil headed lights and flat head, all of C19 restoration. The west end, a pointed arched C19 lancet, and 2 lancets lighting the tower stair. To east, a 3-light window, with cusped lights, flat head, hood mould and relieving arch, restored C19. 2 sepulchre recesses wall with wide cambered arches; fixed above, a slate tablet to the Carnsews family, 1826. Fixed on a buttress, a slate headstone with carved surround and central panel with admonitory verse, to John Bolte, early C18. South porch has hipped roof and limestone quoins. Wide 4-centred arched opening with inner chamfered arch. Interior of porch has barrel vault roof with moulded cornice, stone benches to sides, tall 4-centred arched inner doorway with jamb shafts continued over head, hood mould with mask stops of the C19 restoration. Double fielded panelled C18 doors. Rectangular recess in west wall and quatrefoil piscina to east. North aisle also of four bays with porch in corresponding position. All windows of 3 lights except 2nd from east of 4 lights, as on south aisle. To east, the aisle is set back from the nave with chamfered buttress. Triple lancet to east, central light taller, chamfered, possibly of C17 as on clerestory; taller relieving arch, from earlier opening. West end of aisle enclosed by C19 vestry. North porch on plinth with hipped roof. Outer irregular 4-centred-arched opening with inner chamfered arch. Interior has similar roof with moulded cornice, stone bench to left and granite sarcophagus set to right. Inner chamfered 4-centred arched doorway with single 8-panelled and fielded door; remains of image niche above and earlier relieving arch. North vestry, single storey, in snecked rubble with parapet and coping. To west, 2 triple and one paired lancet. Parapet embattled with off-centred gable to north with image niche in gable. 4-centred arched north door and 3-light window, single cusped light to east. Interior Nave and chancel have C19 wagon roof with moulded ribs and bosses, aisles have C19 roofs with arched-braces and purlins. All walls plastered except piers of the arcade. Nave has 5-bay arcade to north and south, with tall 4-centred chamfered arches with inner chamfered arch, rising directly from octagonal dressed stone piers. Clerestory windows have rere-arches. Chancel and aisles all have trefoil-headed piscinas on south wall, of C19 rest restoration. Tower has Cl9 double doors with 4- centred arch, single chamfered light above. Fittings Font in south aisle, of outstanding quality; C14, limestone, octagonal, the bowl with panels of carved figures, central shaft and 4 outer clustered shafts. Alms box in south aisle, dated 1645, in the shape of a standing figure with a shield, inscribed W T MAIER. Carved wooden pulpit on limestone base, dated 1880, in nave. Late C19 pews in nave. Alabaster panel in south aisle showing flaying of St Bartholomew. Stocks in south porch. Monuments in chancel: marble classical monument with broken pediment and torch, to William Bower, 1779; marble monument on slate ground with pilasters and urn, to Thomas Hull, 1806; marble monument with urn, to Charles Monson, 1800; marble monument on slate ground, with pilasters and urn, to William Luke, 1763. In north aisle: marble monument on slate ground with urn, to Matilda Fortescue, 1801; brass of Tristram Curteys, an esquire in armour, 1423; marble monument on slate ground with urn, to William Fortescue, 1824; marble tablet on slate ground, with pediment and acroterial ornaments, by Shepheard of Plymouth, to 4 daughters of the Spernon family, from 1798; marble tablet on slate ground with pedimental top and wheatsheaf, to Richard Lanyon, early C19. In south aisle: large granite ledger stone, with inscription around border and central coat of arms, dated 1584; slate tablet on window cill, with coat of arms, to a member of the Kendal family, 1579; Elizabethan stone monument with ancient colour, with figures of the father, 5 sons and 3 daughters, all kneeling, with fluted Ionic pilasters and shield of arms; marble tablet to Thomas Hext, 1822; marble tablet to John Hext, 1838; marble tablet on slate ground with pilasters and urn, to Samuel Hext, 1800; marble tablet on slate ground with pediment, to Elizabeth Hext, 1851; marble tablet with pediment, pilasters and urn, to Jane Michell, 1824; marble tablet on slate ground with pediment and floral pilasters, by Bedford of London, to Phillippa Westlake, 1850; marble tablet on slate ground, to James Baron, 1807; marble tablet on slate ground, to Alfred Hurt, 1819. Stained glass window in north aisle, showing Faith, Hope and Charity, by Willement.
(Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970)
Listing NGR: SX1043859797
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing