CHURCH OF ST WENNA
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST WENNA
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327422.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:58:59.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST WENNA
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- St. Wenn
- National Grid Reference:
- SW 96790 64835
SW 96 SE
ST WENN Church of St Wenna (formerly listed as Church of St Wenn)
GI Parish church.C15,with additions of later C15.Rebuilt 1825 with work to tower and porch(dated in porch)and restored 1868(I.C.B.S. board in vestry).Granite rubble with granite dressings.West tower in granite ashlar.Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with scalloped slate bargeboards.Plan:Nave and chancel in one,of C15.Later C15 north and south aisles,with a south porch set in the angle between the south aisle and the nave,probably rebuilt early C19.The west tower is of the late C15,rebuilt,probably circa early C19,after partial collapse.C19 north vestry.Exterior:The nave is concealed by the aisles.The chancel has a three-light C19 Perpendicular east window with four-centred arch and hood mould.The north aisle is of two bays.Two three-light windows to north,of C19,with cusped lights,four-centred arch and hood mould.Three-light east window, probably of the early C17,with four-centred arches,roll-moulded,with the central light taller.Slate tablet attached to the east wall to James Retalick,1753.The south aisle is also of two bays;there are two windows to south and one to east,all as on north aisle.Gabled south porch with four-centred arched moulded doorway,with C19 cast iron gate with mid panel of circle design.The interior of the porch has granite floor and one bench.C19 common rafter roof.Inner four-centred arched doorway with roll mouldings and recessed carved spandrels,C19 door with strap hinges.Oval slate tablet recording the rebuilding of the church in 1825,by John Gilbert,vicar and James Collins,builder.West tower in two stages,on tall moulded plinth with frieze of quatrefoils and chevron decoration;set back buttresses with demi-shafts with crocketed finials,moulded string course and embattled parapet.West doorway with four-centred arch and moulded surround with recessed spandrels and square hood mould;C19 door with strap hinges.West window of C15,of four narrow lights with Y tracery,four-centred arch and hood mould.East and west at second stage a three-light bell-opening with the central light taller,four-centred arch with hood mould and louvres. The first stage to south has a slate sundial dated 1860.North vestry is gabled,with two-centred arched chamfered north doorway,C19 door with strap hinges;two-light west window with cusped lights.Interior:Tiled floor and plastered walls.Nave and chancel have C19 arched-brace roof with one tier of windbraces.C19 common rafter roof in the aisles.Tall four-centred tower arch,piers with ring-moulded capitals.Three-bay north and south arcade,which may be of the rebuilding of 1825;the piers have four outer shafts and four thinner inner shafts,the capitals carved with leaves and flowers,moulded four-centred arches.Fittings:C12 font in nave,a circular bowl with chevron carving,with four masks at the corners over outer shafts,with central circular stem.C19 benches in nave and aisles.Pair of C19 Gothic sanctuary chairs in the chancel.Polychromatic tiled reredos in the chancel,by Powell and Sons,circa 1873.Monuments in north aisle:polychromatic tiled memorial with brass tablet,to Thomas Hawkey,1850.The nave has slate ledger stones,to John Liddicoat,1826,Mary Liddicoat,1824,Phillippa Phillipps,1804, Martha Merifield,1845 and William and Ann Varcoe,both 1825.The east window of the chancel has painted grisaille glass of 1873,by Powell and Sons.Sources: Pevsner,N:Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SW9679164834
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing