Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT ERTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327632.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:05:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Erth
National Grid Reference:
SW 54985 35027


ST ERTH THE GREEN LANE, St Erth SW 5435-5535 13/233 Church of Saint Erth -

GV 1 Parish church. C15 restored in 1747 by Vicar Collins, partly rebuilt in 1872-3 using much of the original material. Granite ashlar tower and south porch, otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings. Grouted scantle slate roofs with granite coped gable ends. Plan: Nave/chancel ; west tower ; north aisle, south aisle with chapel at east end and south porch. Exterior: Complete circa early C15 3-stage embattled unbuttressed west tower with original west doorway and 1 original 3-light traceried louvred windows to the upper stage. North aisle was mostly rebuilt in the C19 but the windows are C15, including 5-light traceried window to the east gable end. Chancel gable end projects and has C19 5-light window. South aisle has 5-light C15 window to east gable end, otherwise C19 copies incorporating some C15 masonary. Fine late C15 porch has large 4-centred arched doorway with its moulded arch carried on octagonal panelled jambs with heavy moulded bases and caps. Slender weathered buttress on either side of the doorway and 2 similar buttresses to each side wall. The upper stage of each buttress has blind Trefoil-headed panels. Over the doorway is a shaped-headed sundial dated 1820. Interior: C15 features: steep 2-centred tower arch; rood stair with doorway (north wall); 6-bay arcades between the nave/chancel and aisles with standard A (Pevsner) piers and 4-centred arches (carved capitals to north arcade, moulded capitals to south arcade); fine waggon roofs with much original timber (aisles and porch) with carved bosses. The roof over the Trewinnard chapel (east end of south aisle) has cross-braced panels and guttering. This chapel was restored in 1913 and it is possible that much of the timber was replaced then, or at the 1872-3 restoration. Walls have C19 plaster. Fittinos: Norman bowl incorporated into late C19 Norman style font; C17 painted copy of letter from King Charles I; painted Arms of King George I; otherwise C19 and C20 fittings including copy of C15 rood screen; copies of late medieval bench ends; organ by W Sweetland of Bath dated 1881 and carved oak alter reredos of 1903 (in memory of Nicholas and Julieine Harvey). Monuments: Stone wall monument to Davies Giddy (1767-1839) of Tredrea, qv, and a 1912 memorial window in south wall to the Hawkins family of Trewinnard qv. Sources: Church guide; Kelly's directories.

Listing NGR: SW5498935026


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1910)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1883)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06678/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ivan Barnes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].