CHURCH OF ST TETHA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1327712
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST TETHA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST TETHA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327712.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:30:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST TETHA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Teath
National Grid Reference:
SX 06439 80594

Details

ST TEATH ST TEATH SX 0680 - 0780 7/171 Church of St Tetha

GV I

Parish church dedicated to St Tetha. Norman origins, north and south aisles added in C15 and west tower partly remodelled in 1630 (datestone). Restored in 1877-9 and in 1913. Stone rubble, snecked to north and south aisles with moulded plinth and wall plate and large granite quoins. Tower of stone rubble with bands of ashlar granite. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one. Plan: Norman origins with remains at north west corner of nave near junction of north arcade and tower base. Pevsner suggests first stage of tower is Norman. North and south aisles added in C15, probably with south porch. Tower remodelled in 1630 (datestone). Exterior: 3-light Perpendicular windows in north and south aisles, partly replaced in south aisles during C19 restoration. Rood loft stair projection to north aisle. West tower of 3 stages with moulded strings and plinth and battlemented parapet with crocketted finials. West door with datestone 1630 with 3-light Perpendicular west window. Circa C15 arch to south porch. Interior: Circa C15 waggon roofs to nave, chancel, north and south aisles. Nave roof partly replaced in mid C20 and north and south aisle roofs replastered. High quality carving to wall plate in north aisle. 6-bay arcades to north and south aisles with 4-centred arches and type A (Pevsner) piers. Furnishings partly replaced with circa C15 bench ends in north and south aisles. Circa C17 carved panels incorporated in choir stalls and C17 panels incorporated in pulpit with arms of Carminow family. Royal arms dated 1703. C15 font. Rood loft stair in north aisle. C17 alms box. 2 parts of Norman capitals reused as base for altar table in north aisle. Norman font bowl found at Vicarage Farm (qv). Circa C15 recumbent effigy in south aisle window. Memorials including C16, C17 and C18 ledger stones. Fragments of old glass. On site of Lan. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall 1879. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970. Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1873, reprinted 1974. Church Guide.

Listing NGR: SX0644280596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68610
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Tetha St Teath Church Guide
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16747/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Sarah Bolt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].