This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1327996



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Stephens By Launceston Rural

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Giles on the Heath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST STEPHENS BY SX 38 NW LAUNCESTON 9/132 Higher New Bridge (previously listed as part in Werrington parish 22.11.60 and part in Broadwoodwidger)


Road bridge over River Tamar. Part of the bridge is situated in Broadwoodwidger parish Devon. Circa 1504. Ashlar granite with some local rubble stone. 3 slightly pointed arches of approximately 25 feet span with two cutwaters between on each side. Fourth smaller arch for floodwater. Dressed granite arch rings and impost mouldings. Putlog holes above imposts suggested by Henderson to have previously held wooden hatch or sluice gates. Roadway 11 feet wide. The stone rubble parapets have been partly rebuilt in the C19 and C20 and the cutwaters continue up to form refuges. Stone rubble C20 buttresses on west bank. In 1504 Bishop Oldham was induced to grant an indulgence of 40 days to all penitents who contributed to the 'Pons Novus de - juxta Launceston'. Described by John Leland in 1539 who stated that the bridge was built and maintained by the Abbots of Tavistock. Henderson, C. and Coates, H. Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, 1928 reprinted 1972.

Listing NGR: SX3489286692

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928)

National Grid Reference: SX3489286692


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327996 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 11:02:28.

End of official listing