THE LIGHTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1328497

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: THE LIGHTHOUSE, THE LIZARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LIGHTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1328497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:10:32.

Location

Statutory Address: THE LIGHTHOUSE, THE LIZARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Landewednack

National Grid Reference: SW 70405 11578

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANDEWEDNACK THE LIZARD SW 71 SW 9/72 The Lighthouse GV II

Lighthouse, 1752, engine room 1881, outer buildings and dwellings, 1882. 1903 further alterations. Thomas Fonnereau of Bochym superintended construction for the Corporation of Trinity House, London (present owners). Granite covered with cement masonry paint and double skinned roof of Cornish slate. 2 towers connected by long range of apartments and offices. Eastern tower, octagonal with rectangular window openings of four panes under hood moulds. Circular lantern with diagonal lattice work grills and surrounding railings. Conical roof with ball finials. West tower as east but no longer contains lantern. Main facade of apartments face south. 2 storeys with rectangular windows with hood moulds. Gable end bays project beyond facade. 6 tall black tarred chimneys with tall pots creating a distinctive silhouette. Single storey outshut along back with hipped roof wings beyond. Interior of eastern tower: oak panelled with teak, oak and mahogany fittings. Granite staircase cantilevered out. Eastern tower and engine house internally inspected. First lighthouse finished in 1619. Built by Sir John Hilligrew. New lighthouse of 1752 built with 2 towers (used for navigation - when lined up sufficient room to reach out to sea). Coal furnaces used initially. 1812 oil driven lamps introduced with reflectors. 1878 arc lamps and fog siren. Twin towers in operation until 1903 when single flashing light used in eastern tower. Sources: information from head keeper. W B Mayne , Landewednack, Southernmost Cornwall, 1907.

Listing NGR: SW7040511578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 64652

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mayne, W B , Landewednack Southernmost Cornwall Its Parochial History, (1907)

End of official listing