THE LIGHTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1328835

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: THE LIGHTHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LIGHTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1328835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 03:30:22.

Location

Statutory Address: THE LIGHTHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Agnes

National Grid Reference: SV8802008202

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST. AGNES

SV80NE The Lighthouse 1358-0/6/10 06/04/59

GV II*

Lighthouse. 1680 for Trinity House, with cupola of 1806. Colourwashed render on granite rubble, with cast-iron and glass cupola. Circular on plan. 3 storeys with fourth-storey cupola. 2 plat band divisions. Randomly-placed casement and 4-pane openings. Projecting eaves with cast-iron railing, curved stanchions tied to glass cupola with square panes with curved conical roof. Addition of c1840 consists of single-storey lean-to porch and corridor attached with further right-angled corridor attached leading to house (q.v.). Interior noted as having lantern reached by wooden newel stair from first floor and carried by shallow stone vault (replacing original timber ceiling); stone mural stair to first floor which has 4 gun ports. Plaque records original build of c1680 by Captain Hugh Hill and Captain Simon Bayly, builders of the 1676 Lowestoft lighthouse. Superseded in 1910 by the Peninnis Lighthouse, St. Mary's (q.v.). The original iron cresset is now in Tresco Gardens (q.v.). (Hague D and Christie R: Lighthouses:Their Architecture, History and Archaeology: Llandysul: 1975-: 79-81, 241-4).

Listing NGR: SV8803008216

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62449

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hague, B, Christie, R, Lighthouses their Architecture History and Archaeology, (1975), 79-81
Hague, B, Christie, R, Lighthouses their Architecture History and Archaeology, (1975), 241-244

End of official listing