CHURCH OF SAINT FEOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1329009
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT FEOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT FEOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329009.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:11:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT FEOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Feock
National Grid Reference:
SW 82483 38430

Details

SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK

4/40 Church of Saint Feock 30.5.67

GV 11*

Parish church. Completely rebuilt 1875-6 incorporating C15 windows, arcade and doorways. For The Reverend Thomas Philpotts by Piers St Aubyn. Killas rubble brought to course, granite copings, windows and weatherings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends, shaped clay ridge tiles and cross finials over cruciform gablets. Nave, chancel (under 1 roof), short north aisle, south aisle and south porch. North wall of nave incoporates circa C16 flat-headed window with trefoils, to right (west). North aisle has reused C15 Perpendicular window to far left, otherwise C19 windows in Perpendicular style. North wall of chancel is blind. Chancel east window is C19 3-light freestone in Perpendicular style. South window, partly obscured by C20 flat roofed vestry in angle between chancel and south aisle, is C19, 2-light. South aisle and porch are rebuilt almost to the same design as the pre 1875 building incorporating C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows, 1 to left of porch, 3 to right of porch and 1 to east end. West windows, 3-light to south aisle and 4-light to nave are C19 copies in granite of original C15 Perpendicular windows. Porch has C15 4-centred arched moulded granite doorframe. Interior has C15 standard A (Pevsner) granite arcade of 5-bays between nave and south aisle with 4-centred arches with cavetto and ovolo intrados mouldings over coved capitals. Roof structures, of pitch pine, are arch braced with angled struts over collar and wind braces. Chancel roof has painted decoration. Squint between south aisle and chancel. 2-bay C19 arcade between nave and north aisle and C19 doorway with 4-centred arch over stiff leaf corbels between chancel and north aisle. Reredos, given by The Reverend Philpotts and based on ones he had seen in Florence, has crocketted pinnacles over battlements with cusped ogee arch to centre and flanking pointed arched panels with the 10 commandments. Piscina with cusped arch and hoodmould in chancel south wall. Several memorial windows of coloured glass. The east window, by de Morgan of London, on the theme "thy brother shall rise again", was given by the Misses Philpott in memory of their brother. Fittings include: Norman font of Catecleuse stone with trees of life panels decorating round bowl over turned shaft with cable moulding on round base; painted coat of arms of Charles I 1638; polygonal pulpit incorporating carved Flemish Rennaissance panels circa late C17; low alabaster chancel screen (given by The Reverend Philpotts); simple pitch pine pews with shaped ends, and stocks in porch with 7 holes to provide alternative use as pillory. Monument of marble with vase and torches to William Penrose of Tregie d. 1838. Historical information from The Church Guide by The Reverend E.J. Saunders.

Listing NGR: SW8248338430

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
63315
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saunders, Reverend E J , Church Guide to Church of St Feock Carrick

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/04590/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John E. Crowe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].