THE LODGE (MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING NUMBER A221)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1329391
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1993
Statutory Address:
THE LODGE (MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING NUMBER A221)

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LODGE (MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING NUMBER A221)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329391 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 21:21:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE LODGE (MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING NUMBER A221)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Waltham Abbey
National Grid Reference:
TL 37813 00920

Details

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY TL3700 3/10009 The Lodge (MOD Building No A221) GV II

House, built as house for various senior officers at the Royal Gunpowder Factory. Early C19 (not shown on 1806 map). Flemish bond yellow brick with wide overhanging eaves to hipped Welsh slate roof and brick ridge stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. 2-storey double-depth plan with one-storey service wings to west, the south-west wing altered after 1859; NW wing heightened and extended to west, with later infill block linking it to SW wing. Symmetrical 3-window front : later central porch with plat band and gauged brick semi-circular arch over doorway. Gauged brick flat arches over 8/8-pane sashes; later C19 (1886-95) bay window with horned sashes to left. Similar bay window (before c1908) to left-hand return. Flat-roofed extension to rear. Interior: not inspected but known to include panelled doors, buffets in SE dining room and possibly reset dog-leg staircase with winders, stick balusters and turned newels. (RCHME report, 1993).

Listing NGR: TL3781300920

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
352180
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Royal Gunpowder Factory Waltham Abbey A Survey, (1994)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03632/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Simpson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].