CHURCH OF ST. CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1329502
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. CUTHBERT, STOKESLEY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329502.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2020 at 16:29:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. CUTHBERT, STOKESLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 51471 15878

Details

MIDDLESBROUGH STOKESLEY ROAD NZ 51 NW (5115) (west side), Marton.

4/79 Church of St. Cuthbert. 23.6.66 - II* Church, C12 largely rebuilt 1843/48, possibly by J.B. Rudd (Tollesby). Vestry c.1920. Dressed sandstone; Lakeland slate roofs. Cruciform plan with aisled nave, south and west porches and north vestry. Neo-Norman style; Early English style north transept, chancel and vestry. Continuous chamfered plinth; slender clasping buttresses and buttresses between bays. 4-bay south aisle has gabled porch in 2nd bay. Boarded double doors, with scrolled strap hinges, under double chevron-moulded head on nook shafts. Chevron-moulded eaves cornice. Aisle windows have roll-moulded heads, nook shafts and continuous impost and sill strings. Corbel table under shallow parapet. Tablet with worn arms on parapet between 3rd and 4th bays. Similar west windows in aisles. North aisle largely C12 with renewed windows and embattled parapet. Similar slightly-projecting west porch, under paired west window in deep segment-headed recess, flanked by slender buttresses. West bellcote has 2 round-headed openings holding C17 bells, under continuous hoodmould and paired gables. Crow-stepped east gable to nave. South transept has paired and single windows with chevron-moulded surrounds, and chevron-moulded gable copings. Largely medieval north transept, has mid-C19 Caernarvon-headed windows in hollow-chamfered surrounds, and crow-stepped gable. Lower 3-bay chancel has lancets and boarded south door in nailhead-moulded arch on nook shafts; hoodmoulds with carved stops. Corbel table at eaves includes 7 medieval corbels carved with stars, shields and masks. Low parapet with chamfered roll-moulded copings. East window with intersecting tracery. Cross finials on porches; transepts and chancel. 2-bay vestry similar to north transept. INTERIOR: Re-cut C12 north arcade, piers alternately octagonal and compound, capitals with flat leaves, grotesques and dragons, and bases with scrolled leaves. An original shaped base at west end. Similar mid-C19 south arcade and transept arches. Chevron and lozenge-moulded chancel arch. Low-pitched nave and transept roofs have kingpost trusses, with moulded purlins, on block corbels. Chancel roof has arch-braced collar-beam trusses, with moulded purlins, on stone corbels; east truss on shafts. C13 trefoil-arched piscina, with dogtooth moulding, in south wall. Pair of mid-C20 Vicar's stalls by Thompson (Kilburn). Good wainscoting of 1914 in sanctuary. Mid-C19 carved octagonal font. West window of south aisle has stained glass by W.E. Towers, depicting St. Nicholas of Myra. 4 windows in south transept, 1903/05 by C.E. Kempe, of Saints Hilda, Elfleda (sic), Cuthbert and Aidan. North transept window of 1911 by W.E. Towers, depicts St. Christopher. East Window, Crucifixion with saints, 1908 by Wailes (Newcastle). Benefaction board in porch. Medieval grave cover, in floor of north transept, with carving of Calvary cross and sword. HISTORY: Captain James Cook R.N., F.R.S., circumnavigator, baptised here 3rd November, 1728.

Listing NGR: NZ5147115878

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
59791
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05752/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].