DAVISON TOMBSTONE, CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1329503
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
DAVISON TOMBSTONE, CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, STOKESLEY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329503.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2020 at 17:26:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
DAVISON TOMBSTONE, CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, STOKESLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 51476 15863

Details

MIDDLESBROUGH STOKESLEY ROAD, NZ 51 NW (5115) (west side), Marton 4/83 Davison tombstone, c.5m south of south transept of Church of St. Cuthbert. G.V. II Tombstone, 1780, to 2 members of Davison family, died 1780 - ? Red sandstone slab, c.97cm x 77cm, with scrolled head and hollow-chamfered border. Head carved with stylised flowers above hourglass, flanked by wavy ribbons inscribed: "The last hour" and "is approaching". Epitaph below in good lettering including: "He that lies here was meek and mild his words was soft much like a child that non condemn'd for any sin take then those steps and follow him". Lower part of inscription illegible and continued below ground.

Listing NGR: NZ5147615863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
59795
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05752/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].