CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1329545
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329545 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 21:39:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Guisborough
National Grid Reference:
NZ 61650 16118

Details

NZ6116 GUISBOROUGH CHURCH STREET (EAST SIDE)

7/62 Church of 14.6.52 St. Nicholas.

II*

Church, c.1500, on pre-1086 foundation. Aisle walls rebuilt 1790 and largely again during restoration of 1904-8 by Temple Moore. North extensions of 1889. Dressed sandstone; slate roofs in diminishing courses. Perpendicular style internally. West tower, aisled nave, chancel, organ chamber and vestry. Embattled tower of 3 stages has west door and window (glass by A. Fitzgerald Watt, 1908) under single giant arch. 6-bay nave and 3-bay chancel with east window (glass by James Powell of White Friars) and roofs of 1904-8. Original east window, containing medieval glass, reset in south aisle : west wall. Polychrome medieval tiles in floor of dais, by early C16 sculptured table tomb of de Brus Family; originally in St. Mary's Priory. Monument to Thomas Spencer by Gul. Tyler c.1759: a putto standing by an urn in front of an obelisk. (V.C.H. Yorkshire North Riding, Vol. II, 1923, pp. 362-3; N. Pevsner, "....North Riding", 1966, pp. 178-9; B.J.D. Harrison and G. Dixon, "Guisborough Before 1900", 1981, pp. 36-39).

Listing NGR: NZ6165016118

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
59930
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, B J D, Dixon, G, Guisborough Before 1900, (1981), 36-39
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1923), 362-3
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 178-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11034/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]HistoricEngland.org.uk.