ROYAL NATIONAL LIFEBOAT INSTITUTE ZETLAND LIFEBOAT MUSEUM AND ATTACHED WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1329601

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: ROYAL NATIONAL LIFEBOAT INSTITUTE ZETLAND LIFEBOAT MUSEUM AND ATTACHED WALL, ESPLANADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL NATIONAL LIFEBOAT INSTITUTE ZETLAND LIFEBOAT MUSEUM AND ATTACHED WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 23:48:58.

Location

Statutory Address: ROYAL NATIONAL LIFEBOAT INSTITUTE ZETLAND LIFEBOAT MUSEUM AND ATTACHED WALL, ESPLANADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 60689 25161

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDCAR ESPLANADE NZ 62 NW 2/42 R.N.L.I. Zetland Lifeboat Museum and attached wall. - II

United Free Gardners Lifeboat House, 1877, now a museum; 2nd-floor lookout now used as coastguard station. Altered early C20 and mid C20 when 3rd-floor lookout cabin added. Brick in English garden wall bond. Welsh slate roof; concrete roof on coastguard station. Brick and timber lookout cabin and steel balustrade. 3-storey, single-bay front. Wide lifeboat entrance now holds mid C20 part-glazed doors, sidelights and overlights, in altered slender timber pilaster-and-entablature surround. Paired sash windows with painted sills on upper floors; cambered brick arches on first floor concrete lintels on 2nd floor. Stone plaques bearing sculptured arms to left and right of first-floor windows. That at left : United Free Gardners, dated 1877; that at right : Emma Dawson. Similar carved monograms below. Flat roof with post-and-rail balustrade. Flat-roofed cabin. Right return, 3 storeys at left end, 2 storeys at right. Part-glazed door with sidelights and overlight, flanked by altered windows in original openings with painted lintels and sills. Sash window with glazing bars, and altered door and overlight, both with cambered heads, at right. 5 first-floor windows, the middle one a canted bay with moulded cornice. Sashes, painted sills and cambered heads. Stepped brick eaves cornice. 2nd floor has paired sashes. End and ridge stacks. High wall enclosing small covered rear yard, has boarded door and overlight with cambered held. Lower 2 - storey rear extension is not of special interest. Built for the "Emma" lifeboat, 1877-1884. Now houses the "Zetland" lifeboat, the oldest surviving lifeboat in the world. Included for historical interest.

Listing NGR: NZ6068925161

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60297

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing