BASTION AND ADJOINING HA HA WALL 150 METRES NORTH OF KIRKLEATHAM HALL FARM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1329608
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
BASTION AND ADJOINING HA HA WALL 150 METRES NORTH OF KIRKLEATHAM HALL FARM

Map

Ordnance survey map of BASTION AND ADJOINING HA HA WALL 150 METRES NORTH OF KIRKLEATHAM HALL FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329608 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:34:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
BASTION AND ADJOINING HA HA WALL 150 METRES NORTH OF KIRKLEATHAM HALL FARM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 59570 22077

Details

REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM NZ 52 SE 4/73 Bastion and adjoining ha-ha wall, 150m. north 23.6.52 of Kirkleatham Hall Farm. G.V. II*

Bastion and adjoining ha-ha wall, early/mid C18, as garden ornaments and for defence against threat of invasion by French privateers. Dressed sandstone; brick internal vault, flanking wall and parapet to external stair. Gothick style. Short tapered circular tower. Round openings with mock cannon-barrel surrounds in square recesses, in north and west sides, that in east side now missing. Pointed doorway in south side. Corbel table supports projecting parapet, originally embattled but merlons and embrasures now missing. Flat paved roof has remains of surrounding benches. Stair and bridge/porch, adjoining south side, now partly demolished. Interior has segmental-vaulted ceiling. Ha-ha wall runs west for 120m, from north side of tower. West end of wall missing or obscured by forestry work. Disused and dilapidated at time of resurvey. Bastion shown with bridge/porch and stair intact in N.M.R. photograph AA53/12864:1953.

Listing NGR: NZ5957022077

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60329
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12107/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].