NORMANS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1329649
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
NORMANS HALL, CHELFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORMANS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329649 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 02:17:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORMANS HALL, CHELFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Prestbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ8880376236

Details

SJ 87 NE PRESTBURY C.P. CHELFORD ROAD (South Side)

5/188 Normans Hall

14/4/1967 II

Formerly farmhouse, now house: mid-late C16 with C17 additions, brick repairs of early C18, alterations and additions dated 1921 by Henry Boddington. Partly timber-framed on stone plinth, partly brick. Kerridge stone-slate roof. 1 massive rubble chimney and 2 brick all with Tudor-style stacks. L-shaped plan. South range is original house having 2-storey, 4 bay, north front. Right end bay is cross wing on ashlar plinth. Ground storey has 6-light ovolo-moulded wooden mullioned and transomed windows with lattice-leaded glazing and chevroning in the timber framing. Coved jetty with quatrefoil piercing and carved brackets at the end. Above is similar C20 window with chevron and roundels in framing. Tie beam has applied mouldings and cross motifs in gable with ornately pierced barge-boards and finial of 1921. Remaining 3 bays on rubble plinth have small timber framing. C20 wood mullioned windows and modern Tudor-style doorcase. To sides and rear repairs in brick and weather-boarded added cross wing. Long brick east range is remodelled farm building and at junction timber-framed gabled bay dated 1921. Interior: Parlour has bead moulded ceiling beams. (2 original and 2 copied). 4-centred arched stone fireplace a C20 copy but similar original in room above. This has a 7-panelled door, with reeded rails, and a 3-board cupboard door. Hall has deeply chamfered ceiling beam with quirk and tongue stops and in room above is truss of tiebeam with 2 diagonal struts.

Listing NGR: SJ8880376236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58354
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].