CHURCH OF ST PETER (AT TABLEY HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1329685
Date first listed:
05-Mar-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, AT TABLEY HOUSE, CHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER (AT TABLEY HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329685.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:04:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, AT TABLEY HOUSE, CHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tabley Inferior
National Grid Reference:
SJ 72490 77766

Details

SJ 77 NW TABLEY INFERIOR C.P. (Off) CHESTER ROAD

6/65 CHURCH OF ST PETER at Tabley House (formerly listed as Private Chapel at Tabley House)

5.3.59

G.V. I

Chapel. 1675-9 with early C18 tower, moved to present site in 1927-29 having been previously adjacent to the Old Hall. Red Flemish bond brick with stone dressings and stone slate roof. 3-bay nave with one-bay ante-chapel with gallery over. Tower to west end. North front: 4 bays, the 3 to left having 3 stone dressed mullioned and transomed lights with Tudor heads and hood moulds. Buttresses to left and between windows with off sets. Right hand bay has arched doorway with tablet over with inscription and winged angle head above that with pediment to top. Stone quoins to corners and ball finials above stone kneelers, at half way points and at apexes of shaped gables. 5-light pointed eastern window. The south front repeats the arrangements for the north front save that a passageway (q.v.) was added in 1927-9 linking the chapel to the house. West front: 2 lateral upper arched windows with stone surrounds with shaped gable above. Superimposed tower of c1714 of three stages, the lower one being wider and having stone quoins and a 2-light Tudor window with hood mould. Parapet with stone balusters and ball finials. Recessed clock stage above with diamond-shaped clock faces to three sides. Belfry stage above this with 2-light louvred Tudor openings with stone surrounds. Parapet above with stone balusters and ball finials. Interior: coved ceiling, panelling in Jacobean style to lower walls divided by Ionic pilasters with swags across capitals and entablature with winged angles heads to the frieze. Reading desk to south east with ball finials and two large gilded winged angels heads to front. Octagonal pulpit with arched panels, panelled sounding board and spiral balusters. Communion rail with similar spiral' balusters. Stall fronts have bolection moulded panels. Stalls arranged down each side. Western screen with central double doors in arched doorcase with Ionic ½-columns to either side with panelled plinths. Winged angels heads to frieze. Broken pediment over with split pea-pods to angles. Sculpture of St Peter holding keys in centre of pediment. Some panels of Flemish stained glass and one window of 1895 by Morris and Co. designed by Burne-Jones depicting the patron saints of the 2nd Lord de Tabley's children.

Listing NGR: SJ7249277769

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58558
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/11918/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. H. Bebbington. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].