CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1329772
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1970
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, STRETTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329772.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:04:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, STRETTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stretton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 62028 82765

Details

SJ 68 SW STRETTON C.P. STRETTON ROAD (North side) 6/40 Church of St.Matthew 8.1.70 II Church 1870 by George Gilbert Scott, replacing a Commissioners' Church of 1826-7 by Philip Hardwick. The chancel probably stands on Hardwick's foundations. Red sandstone with graded Westmorland slate roofs. 3 stage West tower has angle buttresses, octagonal north-east turret, shaped oak door in cusped archway, single and paired lancets, paired bell-openings and corbelled plain parapet. The 5 bay aisled nave has geometrical tracery to aisle windows and paired lancets to clerestorey. North vestry has simple paired lancets in gable and square-headed windows in sides. The 2 bay chancel (different in character) has plate tracery and nook-shafts in corners of buttresses which carry a corbel-table. The chancel may predate Scott's work, say circa 1860.

Interior: Arch-braced trusses (with windbraces) spring from corbelled stone shafts; cradle roof to chancel; organ between chancel and vestry; late C19 stained glass. Round and octagonal columns alternate in the arcades.

Listing NGR: SJ6202882765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58979
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06489/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F. Bryan Basketter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].