- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- PEOVER HALL, PEOVER HALL PARK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329813.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 05-Jul-2020 at 08:18:21.
- Statutory Address:
- PEOVER HALL, PEOVER HALL PARK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
- Peover Superior
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 77268 73496
PEOVER SUPERIOR C.P. PEOVER HALL PARK
SJ 77 SE
5/72 Peover Hall
5 3 59
Country house. Dated 1585 on heraldic datestone with additions and alterations of c.1653-6, c.1764, c.1944 and 1966. Intended to be the first phase in the building of a much larger E or H-shaped house on which work was begun c.1585 and halted c.1590 and never again continued to the original plan. Built for Sir Randle Mainwaring and successors, the architect for the restoration and alterations of 1966 being R B Wood-Jones. Red English bond and English garden wall bond brickwork with stone dressings and stone slate roof. Three storeys with basements. South-west front: Originally symmetrical, or nearly so, in its massing, though not in its fenestration, the attics to the left were raised c.1653-6 and the gables at that side were replaced by a level parapet. Recessed central portion has basement area to right of centre with cambered headed stone surround to doorway (now blocked) and 3-light mullioned window. C20 imposed stone doorway at ground floor level slightly to left of centre. Two 4-light casement windows to right with mullions and transom. One 4-light and one 2-light similar windows to left. First floor: 7-light window to right of centre with mullions and transom and wider central light. Three-light similar window to left of centre and 4-light similar window to left again. Second floor: Three 3-light mullioned windows that to left set in gable. That slightly to left of centre marks the junction of the raising of the roofline and has, in consequence, one sloping gable shouldered to right which dies shortly after its summit into the parapeted wall in which the left hand window is set. This newer walling here, and elsewhere on the house, is of English garden wall bond as opposed to the original English bond. To either side of this central portion are massive projecting chimney breasts with deep off-sets sloping towards the centre, also part of the rebuilding of 1653-6, that to the right having a 3-light mullioned window with transom, that to the left a 2-light mullioned window to its inner face at first floor level. Beyond these are projecting wings with stone quoins to their angles, originally both gabled; the left hand one was raised as part of the alterations of 1653-6 and has a flat parapet. Three-light windows to first and second floors, right and left. The windows on this front as elsewhere all have stone surrounds and mullions and transoms (where present) with early examples of ovolo mouldings. Right hand return: 3 and 6-light ground floor mullioned windows each with transom. Similar arrangement to first floor and three and 2-light mullioned windows to second floor attic gables. To right of this is a projecting wing which was cut short at its right hand end when building ceased c.1590. The upper two storeys of this were rebuilt in the alterations of 1653-6. Basement window of 6 mullioned lights with wide central mullion in an area. Six-light window to ground floor, five lights to first floor and 4 lights to second floor, all mullioned with parapet above and stone coping. Left hand return: Six and 3-light ground floor mullioned windows. Four and 3-light ground floor mullioned windows as below and 3 mullioned windows each of 3 lights to second floor. To the left of this is the uncompleted wing as on the right hand side with a 6-light basement window in an area with wide central mullion and 5, 4 and 3-light mullioned windows to the.ground, first and second floors respectively. Entrance front: 6 bays. Projecting wing to right of centre. In 1966 a large continuation to this wing (of c.1764) was demolished and the present 3-bay facade built. To the left of this projecting wing are two bays with 6-light mullioned window to left and 3-light similar window at right with doorway to right again having an heraldic stone panel above with central armigerous shield surrounded by strapwork and masks and flanked by male and female terms to left and right respectively. Lintel above frieze with date 1585 in relief to centre. Two 6-light mullioned windows to first floor, and two 3-light mullioned windows to second floor with gables over. To right of the projecting wing area 6-light ground floor mullioned window, similar window to first floor with 3-light mullioned window to second floor with parapet above. Interior: Cross passage with staircase to north-east wall of four flights, two of them original and two more added c.1966. Richly moulded newels with extended finials and balusters with deep, heavily moulded banister rail. Contemporary wall panelling with frieze above showing deer in a grove of fruit-bearing trees. Kitchen: Open timber ceiling of heavy beams arranged as coffers infilled with short, chamfered beams running in chequered alternation or containing quarter circles. Hall: Panelling brought from Horsley, near Chester, this century. Morning Room: Panelling brought from Otley Park, Shropshire and Ellesmere, Shropshire, this century. First floor: Oak room: Moulded truss of c.1585 with panelling of c.1650 and contemporary fireplace with Ionic pilasters. Long gallery: the floor was lowered c.1764 at which time the bolection moulded panelling was installed with a plaster frieze above. Second floor: Garret roof of exposed common rafters with braces of scissor-truss type. [Sources:] R B Wood-Jones "The Architectural History of Peover Hall, [ Cheshire",Transactions of the Lancashire and] Cheshire Antiquarian Society - Vol.72, 1962. Nikolaus Pevsner & The Buildings of England: Cheshire, 1971. Edward Hubbard
Listing NGR: SJ7726873496
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Wood Jones, R B, 'Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society' in The Architectural History of Peover Hall Cheshire, , Vol. 72, (1962)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing