TOWN BRIDGE OVER WEAVER NAVIGATION, AND CONTROL CABIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1329879
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
TOWN BRIDGE OVER WEAVER NAVIGATION, AND CONTROL CABIN, BULL RING

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN BRIDGE OVER WEAVER NAVIGATION, AND CONTROL CABIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 21:16:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN BRIDGE OVER WEAVER NAVIGATION, AND CONTROL CABIN, BULL RING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Northwich
National Grid Reference:
SJ 65674 73842

Details

SJ 67 SE NORTHWICH C.P. BULL RING

5/28 Town Bridge over Weaver Navigation, and Control Cabin

II

Swing bridge, 1899, steel, of one pivoted span with asymmetrical bowstring lattice girders; pivot on west bank of river. Barrier with spiked railing on railway track at west end of bridge; pair of steel gates at east end on ornate cast iron posts. A cast iron plaque at west end of each girder is inscribed, in raised capitals, ERECTED BY THE WEAVER NAVIGATION TRUSTEES: 1899; ENGINEER J.A.SANER M.INST.C.E.: CONTRACTOR FOR METALWORK A.HANDYSIDE & COMPANY LTD. DERBY AND LONDON. Timber framed weatherboarded control cabin north of bridge on west bank has wide-eaved hipped roof with ornate finials; small-pane casements form a continuous band to river side and ends of cabin; fixed steel ladder, with guardrail, to river bank. This and Hayhurst Bridge (q.v.) are believed to be the earliest electrically powered swing bridges in Britain.

Listing NGR: SJ6567473842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57622
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13127/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].