CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1330053
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330053.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:48:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 69115 56188

Details

SJ 65 NE FORMER BOROUGH OF CREWE WEST STREET

1/64 Church of St.Barnabas

GV II

Parish Church, 1885 (Pevsner), by Austin & Paley for London and North Western Railway. Brown brick with red tile roof, 3 bay nave, single bay chancel. Projecting weathered plinth, moulded sill band. Terra cotta windows in Perpendicular style with hood moulds and leaded lights, those to the nave under gables with apex timber framing. The large east chancel window has stained glass dating from 1901. Perpendicular flat headed door openings in terra cotta. Gables framed with moulded rafters. Interior: Spacious side aisles formed by treble arcade of moulded terra cotta carried on sandstone piers without caps. The chancel is the width of the nave between piers and is fronted by a "U" shaped open timber screen of turned posts and spandrel tracery which contains the choir. The carved reredos has elaborate cornice, with brattishing, flanked by high level panelling with memorial inscriptions. A heavily carved gothic pulpit fronts the choir screen north. There is low panelling to the aisle walls and a glazed screen across west nave entrance forming baptistery. Continuous chancel-nave ceiling has moulded timbers forming panels. Trusses have braced tie beams and three vertical posts each.

Listing NGR: SJ6911556188

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
56706
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].