Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330090.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:59:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 70141 56626


SJ 75 NW FORMER BOROUGH OF CREWE FORD LANE (Coppenhall) 2/48 Church of St.Michael


Parish Church; Chancel 1883 by James Brooks and nave 1907-10 by J.Brooks, Son and Adkins (Pevsner). On the site of a circa 1373 timber framed church. Accrington type red brick with slate roof in Lancet style. 4-bay nave, side aisles and transepts. Blue brick plinth, stone sill band and stone lancet windows with hood moulds and stained glass. The west entrance has oak studded door in recessed splayed opening with level stone transome carrying 5 lancets below the gothic arch. Plain stone eaves cornice to aisles roof, moulded brickwork to eaves of nave. Copings to gables. Copper covered fleche over the crossing. Interior: Monumental and stone faced. Gothic arcades off clusters of four shafts separate nave from side aisles. Lofty arches to chancel, nave and transepts. Chancel is flanked north by the organ and south by a chapel, both enclosed with dual openings to chancel and aisles. The west end of the nave is the baptistery separated by three-arch arcade. Ikon style painted reredos to altar and oak pulpit on inverted conical base. Alabaster wall memorials and stations of the cross in timber frames. Marble font on marble shafts with crocketted oak cover. Chancel has arched braced roof and nave King post trusses with braces to curved principal rafters and ridges. All have boarded soffites.

Listing NGR: SJ7014156626


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01627/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J M Pickering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].