THE FLAGGS AND HAMILTON HOUSE, AND FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1330300
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
THE FLAGGS AND HAMILTON HOUSE, AND FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND GATES, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330300.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:01:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FLAGGS AND HAMILTON HOUSE, AND FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND GATES, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tarvin
National Grid Reference:
SJ 49127 66999

Details

SJ 46 NE TARVIN C.P. CHURCH STREET (East Side)

2/48 The Flaggs and Hamilton House, and front garden walls and gates. 22/10/1952

GV II*

Pair of houses: dated 1756 on rainhead, later extensions to rear. Flemish bond orange brick with buff sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roof and 3 brick chimneys. Single-pile plan. 3-storey, symmetrical 8-bay front. Stone plinth with access to cellars. Rusticated stone quoins, moulded cornice and plain blocking course. Windows are 12-pane sashes, ground floor recessed, remainder cased and flush, top storeys 6-pane sashes. These have rusticated stone heads with raised keyblocks (moulded over the doors) and stone sills. 3rd and 6th bays have moulded wooden doorcases with panelled reveals. To the left is a segmental pediment, to the right a triangular one. These contain 6-panelled doors approached by 2 stone steps. The houses are divided by a central drainpipe with 1756 on the rainhead. The small front gardens have low brick walls with chamfered stone copings and simple iron railings. Each house has a gateway with square piers and capstones and small wrought iron gates. Interior: Hamilton House: entry into narrow hall with semi-circular archway with raised keyblock and imposts. Only 2 main rooms with staircase to rear. Drawing room has an original fireplace with rilled pilasters and a simple frieze containing a modern grate. Dogleg stair with square newels has crisscross balustrade in manner of Chinese Chippendale staircases. Many of the doors are of 2 fielded panels in simple surrounds, with some later 4 and 6-panelled doors. Extensive cellars.

The Flaggs: hall has segmental arch on fluted pilasters. Main room has bold egg and dart moulded cornice, fluted centre, and C18 fireplace from Tarvin Hall. Room to right less ornate cornice. Openwell pine staircase has 3 column balusters per tread, column newels and curving handrail. Carved acanthus on open string. Moulded cornices in upper rooms, one with moulded beams. Later 4-panelled doors below, doors and cupboards with 2 fielded panels in top storey.

Dr A Gomme (unpublished) shows the very close comparison of this pair with the north side of Abbey Square, Chester, which are contemporary though a little grander. He believes they were built by the same lessee, Taylor.

Listing NGR: SJ4912367002

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55752
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01700/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael L Reed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].