CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1330302
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330302.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:17:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tarvin
National Grid Reference:
SJ 49189 66963

Details

SJ 46 NE TARVIN C.P. CHURCH STREET (East Side)

2/58 Church of St Andrew.

1/3/1967

GV I

Church: nave and south aisle later C14, tower and north aisle late C15, chancel mid C18, mid C18 and several later C19 renovations and one of 1908 by F P Oakley. Ashlar red sandstone, Welsh slate roof. 5-bay nave and aisles under separate roofs, 2-bay chancel, south porch and 5-stage west tower. South front is a great mixture. Projecting gabled porch has broad 4-centred arched doorway, heavily moulded with raised imposts. Aisle bays divided by buttresses and aisle has moulded plinth. To left of porch is a 2-light window with trefoil head and pierced quatrefoil. To right is a Venetian window with leaded glazing and interacting tracery, 2 scratch dials below. 4th bay has a Victorian window and 5th bay a rectangular 2-light cyma-moulded window with flowing tracery and a label mould. 3-light aisle east window with reticulated tracery. Chancel has 2 2-light Victorian windows but a semi-circular headed priest's door with key block. 3-light Victorian Decorated window. In contrast north aisle is all one period, exuberant Perpendicular. Moulded plinth, enriched buttresses, band with gargoyles and embattled parapets above the windows. These are broad 4 and 5-light, with 3-centred arched heads, the tracery restored except for the east window, and label moulds on fabulous animal and human corbels. 4th bay has a 4-centred arched doorway. The tower has a moulded plinth, heavy clasping pilasters, moulded bands at each stage and a band of quatrefoils below the gargoyles and embattled parapet. 4-centred arched west door is recessed behind a moulded and rebated doorcase crowned by a crocketted ogee head on angel corbels. Empty niches to either side with vaulted and crocketted heads. Restored 4-light west window, niche and corbels, Queen Victoria Jubilee clock, and pair of 2-light louvred bell openings in successive stages. Interior: Entry through west door under tall tower arch. Low 5-bay arcade to south aisle on octagonal piers with C19 carved leaf capitals, and label moulds on carved head corbels. At the east end is a Tudor arch with cusped reveals perhaps formerly containing a monument. Squint window between north aisle chapel and chancel. Taller double-chamfered arcade on slender octagonal piers with plain capitals to north aisle. Ornate false hammerbeam roof with carved console brackets and pendants. All arrises dentilated. Tiebeam at east end has inscription. THIS ROVFE WAS MADE ANNO DOMINI 1650 RAPHE WRIGHT, JOHN BRUEN, CHURCH WARDINS CHARLS BOOVTH WILL VENABLES CAPINTRS. South aisle has a C14 wooden screen with trefoil headed arcade and pierced quatrefoils. Late C14 wagon roof of closely set pairs of arch braced rafters (used as type illustration in J Harris and J Lever Illustrated Glossary of Architecture, 1966). Chancel with Cl9 fittings except for Flemish reredos of c1500 and copper memorial tablet to Henry Hardware (died 1584). Perpendicular-style octagonal font with C19 lead bowl dated 1330.

Listing NGR: SJ4919666965

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55762
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harris, J, Lever, J, Illustrated Glossary of Architecture, (1966)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/08841/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John L. Wishlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].