Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330773.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:26:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Hemingford Grey
National Grid Reference:
TL 29239 70868


HEMINGFORD GREY CHURCH STREET 1. 5140 (north side) Church of St James TL 29 70 16/2 30.5.58 I 2. Parish Church, C12 with original central tower and north aisle demolished in C13 for chancel and south aisle, rebuilt in C14. C14 tower and spire. Complete restoration 1859, south porch and north aisle rebuilt, vestry added. Stone rubble with Barnack stone dressings, roofs of slates and lead. Tower of three-storeys and four stages with moulded plinth band, embattled parapet and clasping buttresses at first stage changing to diagonal buttresses capped with C18 ball finials. Similar finials cap base of original octagonal spire blown down in 1741 hurricane. Clerestory has a four window range of early C16 two-light windows in four centred arches, and C18 painted wooden sundial with carved Roman numerals, The windows of the south aisle were restored in C19. There are two mass dials on two faces of both buttresses and a wall memorial to Thomas Newman (d 1715) Church Warden. Interior: Nave arcades of three bays show three building periods from C12 to C14. North-east C12 circular pier is of two dates, east half of capital is moulded and west half scalloped. Early C16 nave roof of four bays has low pitched roof trusses with king posts. South Aisle roof early C16 of six bays. Early C14 double piscina. Chancel arch is modern, tower arch 2 centred of 2 moulded orders. C17 deal chest. C17 oak communion table. Font from Denton, Cambs installed in 1977. (RCHM Huntingdonshire p 133).

Listing NGR: TL2923970868


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 133


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/05063/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].