THE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1331020
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1983
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Jul-2002
Statutory Address:
THE HALL, SHUDY CAMPS PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331020.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2021 at 17:34:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE HALL, SHUDY CAMPS PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Shudy Camps
National Grid Reference:
TL 62344 44740

Details

1612/21/108 26-JUL-02

SHUDY CAMPS SHUDY CAMPS PARK THE HALL (Formerly listed as: SHUDY CAMPS PARK SHUDY CAMPS PARK SHUDY CAMPS PARK)

GV II

TL 6244 21/108 1.3.83

SHUDY CAMPS SHUDY CAMPS PARK Shudy Camps Park

II

Country house. 1696, 1702, late C18, C19 additions and interior remodelling. Red brick, painted and part plastered; the joints being tuck pointed and coloured black. Rebuilt or added parapet to tiled roof with end parapets on kneelers. Original chimney stacks with modern pots. Late C17 main block extended 1702, flanked by late C18 wings. Later extensions of C18 and C19 at the rear include a domestic block. Two storeys and attic. Five C19 gable dormers. Symmetrical facade of C19 paired twelve pane hung sashes in raised surrounds of cement. Above the centre window and reset in the string course at the bottom of the parapet is a carved stone with the arms of Marmaduke Dayrell. Central doorway with early C19 stone porch. Clustered riny shafted columns at the corners and half round arches to the lights. Late C18 flanking arcaded wings to north and south. That on the north is in three bays with semicircular headed arches to windows with iron glazing bars and pivot lights, C19. That on the south has blind arcading and raised front wall. Gabled east elevation with mid C19 labels to the windows. On the south front the entrance to the domestic wing has flanking pilasters and pediment. Interior: Remodelling in C19. Gothic arches lead to loggia at the north end. Similar arches form a screen in the hall. Early C19 stick baluster staircase. Butt purlin roof to main range and two rear wings. Built for Sir Marmaduke Dayrell.

Dr W M Palmer: William Cole of Milton Burkes Landed Gentry R.C.H.M. Record Card (1949) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p456 V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. VI, p51 Burkes and Savilles: Guide to Country Houses, p25 C.R.O.: c.1750 Estate Map

Listing NGR: TL6234444740

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
51310
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burke, , Landed Gentry, (1969)
Palmer, W M , William Cole of Milton, (1935)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 456
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 51
Kenworthy Browne, J, Reid, P, Sayer, M, Watkin, D, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in East Anglia, (1981), 25

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15803/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].