CASTLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1331416
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CASTLE FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331416.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jul-2020 at 02:15:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CASTLE FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Castle Camps
National Grid Reference:
TL 62648 42429

Details

CASTLE CAMPS CHURCH LANE TL 64 SW 10/61 Castle Farmhouse 22.11.67 (formerly listed as Castle Camps Farmhouse II

House. c1730 with south winy possibly earlier; some remodelling of main front late C18. Reused stone, timber framed roughcast, and plaster rendered. Tiled roofs, hipped to east end of main ranye and wood modillion eaves cornice to the north front. Red brick ridge stacks, rebuilt above the roof. L-plan with a principal range on the east west axis. Basement, two storeys and attic. North front framed by rusticated quoins find divided by a flat band of key pattern with a moulded lower edge carried over the doorcase. There are panels of roughcast render to ground and first floors. On the west side, the attic storey is jettied. Three first floor double hung sashes of twelve panes. A fourth window opening has been blocked. Two ground floor sixteen pane windows. Steps lead up to doorway in moulded doorcase and six panelled door including four glazed panels. Domestic wing to the south of reused stone, plaster rendered. Two storeys and attic. One gable dormer in the attic on west side. Two hung sashes on west side and later C18-early C19 tripartite hugh sash. The east wall of the domestic wing has two reset early C18 hung sashes with original ovolo moulded glazing bars. Interior: stop chamfered main beams in rear range. Main range with early C19 doorcase. Roof of staggered butt purlin type. Nearby is the site of a motte and bailey castle and deserted medieval village. Castle Camps belonged to the De Vere's and was rebuilt more than once. An engraving of 1730 by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck shows a multi gabled house with C15 brick tower. The Charterhouse became owners about 1730and built much of what is standing.

Dr W M Palmer: William Cole of Milton p90 Samuel and Nathaniel Buck: The North East View of Castle Camps in the County Cambridge (private collection) RCHM: record card (1949) VCH: Cambs vol VI p 39 Pevsner: Buildings of England p314



Listing NGR: TL6264842429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
51256
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Buck, S, Buck, N, The North East View of Castle Camps in the County Cambridge
Palmer, W M , William Cole of Milton, (1935), 90
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 314
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 39

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/16067/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].