This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1331472



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coveney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49531

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



14/4 Church of St Peter - ad - Vincula 5.2.52 GV I

Parish church. C13 nave and chancel and C14 west tower. 1896 restoration. Field and rubblestone and limestone dressings. Continuous nave and chancel roof, originally thatched and plain tiled from 1896. End parapet and C19 gable cross. Plan of west tower, aisleless nave and chancel with south porch and C19 north vestry. West tower of three stages. Two lower stages are C14 with C15 upper stage. Embattled parapet with low pyramidal tiled cap to tower roof. Ground stage open on north and south sides to form a passage. Two centred arch of two wave moulded orders and a hollow moulding to each face of the arch. West doorway has two centred arch of two chamfered orders. First stage south wall has lancet window in two centred arch with two hollow mouldings. The C15 bell stage has two cinequefoil openings to each side. Nave has three C14 windows in two centred arches with reticulated tracery. The south doorway has a two centred arch of three chamfered orders. The centre chamfer terminates in a broach stop and is carried on angle shafts which have been removed. There is a label with stops. The door is of vertical planks with cover strips. The south porch has the date 1896 to the gable but the walls are possibly older. They are rendered and have a high plinth. Square heads to single light windows in each side. The S wall has a C13 lancet and two cinquefoil windows and the east wall a restored three-light C14 window with reticulated tracery. The north wall has coupled lancets (see St Martins, Witcham) and two C13 lancets. C13 north doorway with a two centred arch of two chamfered orders. Interior: above the west doorway in the nave is a C13 lancet window with deep rear splay. The roof is C19 and of seven bays and of collar rafter type. The piscina has two centred arch with cinquefoil cusping. The roof above the sanctuary has C19 painted boarding, and there-are patterned floor tiles. The reredos is German and C16. Wood, carved in high relief and painted. In three bays divided by fluted columns on brackets with end console brackets. Centre panel: the Crucifixion; flanked on the left by the Flagellation and Mount of Olives and on the right by Christ before Pilate and Christ carrying the Cross. Above a panel depicting the Resurrection with strapwork decoration. The pulpit is Danish. 1706. On modern base. Wood, painted. Octagonal with pane depicting Christ and the Evangelists. Pews in nave. C16. Original bench ends with poppy head finials and typical heads in profile, Instruments of Christ's Passion, keys, arms of the Scrope family, an eagle, a triskele etc. Chandelier C18 Dutch. Brass. Central shaft of baluster turnings with ball pendant finial. In three tiers with six branches to the lower tier. C13 wall paintings on south wall.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p326 VCH: Cambs Vol IV

Listing NGR: TL4894182187

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 326
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

National Grid Reference: TL 48941 82187


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 10:30:24.

End of official listing