Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1331686

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1972



Ordnance survey map of PRIOR CRAUDENS CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331686 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 07:04:46.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ely

National Grid Reference: TL 54046 80141


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 Prior Crauden's Chapel. (Formerly listed as part of Bishop's house TL 5479 2/95 23.9.50 (Prior's House)) GV 2. Prior Crauden built his private chapel adjoining the south west corner of the hall in 1524-25. It was built over a C13 vaulted undercroft, mainly of Barnack stone ashlar, with clunch (chalk) on the carved interior. The Chapel has 2 bays, with angle buttresses and a centre buttress on the north and south fronts. The east bay has 2 pointed arched windows with "Decorated tracery and the west bay has a small window low down in the wall. The east and west gable ends have wide pointed arched windows with fine "Decorated" tracery. On the north west corner there is an octagonal entrance and staircase tower with a stone spiral staircase. The interior is richly carved and has a rare and particularly fine Cl4 mosaic tile floor - with animal and foliated designs and a panel in front of the altar depicting Adam and Eve.

The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the garden fo the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse from a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's Palace), The Galery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5404680141


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48701

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing