CHURCH OF ST ANDREW THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1331889
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW THE GREAT, ST ANDREW'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331889.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:00:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW THE GREAT, ST ANDREW'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Cambridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 45086 58428

Details

In the entry for:

ST.ANDREW'S STREET. 1. (West Side) 942 TL 4558 SW 7/2 Church of St Andrew the Great. 26.4.50. B The ecclesiastical grade shall be amended to read grade II and the first sentence of the list description shall be amended to read:-

¨Parish church rebuilt from design of Ambrose Poynter in late Gothic style in 1843¨

------------------------------------

ST ANDREW'S STREET 1. 942 (West Side) Church of St Andrew the Great TL 4558 SW 7/2 26.4.50. B 2. Rebuilt from design of Ambrose Poynter in late Gothic style in 1843. Has slight remains of earlier structure and early Cl2 double capitals in heating chamber. Nave of 5 bays with side aisles. West tower of four stages. Contemporary woodwork and roof. South Porch 1850, vestries 1897. Many C18 mural monuments from former church, including one in memory of Captain Cook and his family. (RCHM 46).

Listing NGR: TL4508658428

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
47730
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15537/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].