CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1331998
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331998 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:28:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Fenland (District Authority)
Parish:
Parson Drove
National Grid Reference:
TF 39030 09088

Details

TF 30 NE PARSON DROVE CHURCH END 9/56 (North Side)

23.6.52 Church of St John the Baptist

GV II*

Parish church, originally a chapelry of Leverington parish, almost entirely late C15 or early C16 but with a C14 north aisle and C19 alterations, particularly to south aisle. There is a C13 outer archway to the small north porch, probably surviving from the original church or chapel on the site. In 1613 the chancel was destroyed in a storm. The church is noteworth for the vaulting to the interior of the west tower. Late C15 or early C16 embattled west tower of Barnack ashlar and rubblestone. Of four stages on splayed plinth with angle buttressing and newel staircase in north east corner. Moulded main cornice with two gargoyles to each side. West doorway in two- centred arch and of two moulded orders with a label carried on small attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. West window of three trefoil lights in foiled head with two-centred arch with label and return stops. Similar windows to north and south walls, now blocked. Two cinquefoil openings to bell-stage with tracery similar to that of west window. Late C12 reused stone carved with figure of man in splay of plinth in south wall of tower. Nave of rubblestone, repaired with red brick. Roof of slate. Each side of clerestory has six windows each of three lights with certical tracery in square heads. South aisle, also C15, but much rebuilt and refenestrated in C19, except for east wall which is of rubblestone with a window of three cinquefoil lights. South porch late C15 or early C16 with diagonal buttressing and parapetted gable. Similar inner and outer archways with hollow and wave mouldings. The responds have attached shafts with half-octagonal capitals. Moulded labels on small attached shafts similar to those of west doorway to tower. The chancel archway is now blocked. Two-centred arch with remains of rood staircase to the north. C14 north aisle of rubblestone on splayed plinth. Two centred arches, splayed sills and hollow moulded reveals to five C14 windows of two cinquefoil lights in ogee heads. The east window is of three lights. Small north porch with C13 outer archway of two chamfered orders in two-centred head with label and mask stops. Inner arch C14. Interior. Fine west tower interior. Vaulting with tiercerons and carved bosses at intersections with central, round opening for bell ropes. Tower arch two-centred and of two continuous moulded orders. The responds and soffit of the arch are divided into panels each of two bays with foiled heads. Four-centred arch to doorway to newel staircase. Nave. North and south arcades of seven bays, with the bays to the west partly blocked. Depressed, almost round arches of three moulded orders on columns composed of four grouped half-octagonal shafts divided by subsidiary shafts. Moulded half octagonal capitals and bases to each. The roofs of the nave and north and south aisles retain the original corbels. Font, late C15. Octagonal bowl, stem and base. Each face carved with ornament. Pulpit, dated 1677 with C20 steps and base. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.199. Pevsner (Buildings of England) p.450.

Listing NGR: TF3903009088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
48132
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 450
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 199

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13136/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Wilding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].