EMMANUEL COLLEGE, BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT AND NEW COURTS AND THE BRICK BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1332193
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1950
Statutory Address:
EMMANUEL COLLEGE, BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT AND NEW COURTS AND THE BRICK BUILDING

Map

Ordnance survey map of EMMANUEL COLLEGE, BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT AND NEW COURTS AND THE BRICK BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1332193.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:09:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
EMMANUEL COLLEGE, BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT AND NEW COURTS AND THE BRICK BUILDING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Cambridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 45235 58308

Details

EMMANUEL COLLEGE 1. 942 Buildings surrounding Front and New Courts, and the 'Brick' Building. TL 4558 SW 7/259 26.4.50. I 2. Front Court West Range 1769-75. By James Essex. Ionic tetrastyle portico with entrance gateway flanked by higher ranges. Ashlar, the east front has an arcaded walk of 11 bays. Plain contemporary interior features. Iron gate 1775. East Range and Chapel 1668-77. By Christopher Wren. Cloister with gallery over and Chapel behind. Ashlar. The Chapel interior has very fine contemporary woodwork designed by Pierce and Oliver and made by Cornelius Austin. Organ case circa 1730. Reredos 1687 with painting by Jacopo Amigoni 1734. Fine plaste ceiling by John Grove. The Cloister Gallery is lined with contemporary bolection moulded panelling. North range and Hall Part of the Founder's Buildings of 1584-89 but including earlier work from the Friary of C14 date, and much altered in C18 and later. Ketton stone ashlar. Facing by James Essex. The Combination and Lecture Rooms have mid-C18 fielded panelling, the oriel window added by Sir A W Blomfield in 1876. The Hall was fitted 1760-4 by James Essex and given a plaster ceiling, the C16 timber roof survives above. Reredos and screen of 1694, wrought-iron screen gates 1762. C16 and C17 stained glass. Westmorland Building 1719-22, damaged by fire in 1811 and rebuilt. Ashlar, with south front of red brick. 3 storeys, 19 bays. Interior fittings all post-fire except for 3 early Cl8 staircases. New Court. East Range and old chapel 1584-9, altered in 1838. Converted to the Library in 1679 and to an extra Dining Hall 1930-2 by George Drysdale. Original timber screen. West Range 1584-9, remodelled externally in the Tudor style in the early Cl9. North Range 1824, by James Webster. In the Tudor style. Unaltered internally. The 'Brick' Building 1632-4. Built by John Westley, bricklayer, and Henry Man, carpenter. Brick with stone dressings.3 storeys and attics. C19 dormer windows. C17 and C18 internal features. (All buildings fully described in RCHM.)

Listing NGR: TL4523558308

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
47135
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10503/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].