Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETROCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333084.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 11:17:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 51319 09162


PETROCKSTOWE PETROCKSTOWE SS 50 NW 8/55 Church of St Petrock - 4.10.60 GV II* Parish church. C14 aisle and C15 tower, the rest rebuilt in 1878 - 80 by J. F. Gould. architect and Hedland and Grant of Torrington, builders. Roughly coursed stone rubble walls with granite quoins to tower. Gable-ended slate roofs. Plan: nave, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. The church was largely rebuilt in 1878 - 80 apart from the C15 tower and C14 north arcade as well as some re-used features from the earlier church which suggest a Norman origin. Exterior: 3-stage crenellated tower with obelisk finials and diagonal buttresses. Segmental arched belfry lights. 4-centre arched granite west doorway with roll and hollow moulding. West window is currently (1987) boarded up. North aisle has 3- light Perpendicular window at west end, 2 very large Perpendicular style restored windows and a smaller Decorated style window on the north wall. Buttresses between windows and at either end. Lean-to C19 vestry in angle with chancel has shouldered head doorway on north wall. 3-light C19 Decorated style east window with buttresses to either side and below. Similar 2-light window on south side of chancel and taller one at east end of south aisle. South wall also has similar style windows apart from C15 style square-headed window to east of porch. Gabled south porch set in angle between nave and west end of south aisle has coping to gable terminating in cross finial with image niche below and 4-centred chamfered arch. Interior: probably re-used C14 pointed arch south doorway. C14 arcade to north aisle has octagonal piers with tall pointed double chamfered arches springing from chamfered capitals. C19 arch beyond arcade dividing chancel from organ chamber. South arcade is imitation of north arcade. Tower arcn has 4-centred double cnamfered head and rubble piers. Restored wagon roofs to nave, aisles and chancel. 5-sided pulpit dated 1631 with panelled sides and strapwork carved at the top of each. In chancel is Norman pedestal piscina hollowed from a cushion capital witn circular shaft. Norman square font with central column and 4 corner shafts with arcading and flower head decoration to sides. C16 pyramidal ornately carved and'crocketted font cover. Old glass in vestry window depicts heraldic shields connected with Yeo of Heanton Satchville in the parish. Other glass by Kempe. Sources: White's Directory - 1878; Beatrix Cresswell: Churches in the Deanery of Torrington

Listing NGR: SS5131909162


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Torrington, (1925)
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1878)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11686/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sid Ellott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].