PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1333199
Date first listed:
30-Oct-1969
Statutory Address:
PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 04:25:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 63530 99543

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SZ6399 HIGH STREET 774-1/12/48 (South East side) 30/10/69 Portsmouth Grammar School and attached railings

GV II

Formerly known as: Cambridge Barracks HIGH STREET. Barracks officers' quarters and mess, now grammar school. c1855-60, by the Inspector-General of Fortification's office; school since 1926. Yellow stock and grey bricks. Shallow pitched Welsh slate hipped roof, brick stack with moulded stone cap on left of bays 4/5, 8/9, 13/14, 18/19. Late Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth plan of 4 room units divided by chimneys and separated by transverse passages with rear doorways; former mess in deeper section at left-hand end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. 40-window range. The 2 flanking bays on each side of the central open archway, and 5 bays at each end, project slightly. At centre is a wide splayed stone-framed round archway with impost, vermiculated keystone and plinth, similar lower and narrower arched openings each side, to a vaulted through passage. On each side are eighteen 6/6 pane sashes each set under a flat-gauged brick head with stone sills; 40 similar first-floor sashes. Stone plat band, cornice with ornate stone brackets and stone coped parapet. At centre above parapet is a royal cartouche in stone with supporters. Rear has steps across basement areas up to doorways, and flat-headed 6/6 pane sashes, as the front. Officer's mess set forward with a central round-arched doorway with radial fanlights and tripartite window above. INTERIOR: has large former mess, now library, on first floor, with an axial central stair with cast-iron balusters to a central axial passage; contains original doors and plasterwork. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron spear-headed forecourt railings. HISTORY: contained officers' and servants' rooms, with kitchens and mess rooms. Portsmouth Grammar School, founded in 1732, took over the former officers' barracks in 1926. With the other sections of the old Cambridge Barracks (qqv), this is a good and complete mid C19 example. It is the only remaining one from an area just inside the old Portsmouth Lines with a large concentration of barracks in the C19, and the irregular layout is a rare survival reflecting the former



cramped location of the old barracks. (Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 44,47,82,83,106; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1967-: 448, 449).







Listing NGR: SZ6353399541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474784
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 44,47,82
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 83,106
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 448,449

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].