OUTBUILDINGS TO SOUTH WEST OF PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1333200
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
OUTBUILDINGS TO SOUTH WEST OF PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OUTBUILDINGS TO SOUTH WEST OF PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333200 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:47:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
OUTBUILDINGS TO SOUTH WEST OF PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 63521 99449

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SZ6399 HIGH STREET 774-1/12/49 (South East side) 25/09/72 Outbuildings to south-west of Portsmouth Grammar School

GV II

Formerly known as: Cambridge Barracks HIGH STREET. Warehouses, later barracks, now outbuildings to school (qv). Late C18-early C19, converted to barracks 1825, offices added 1860-80. Red brick in Flemish bond. Low pitch Welsh slate hipped roofs, ridge stacks to office extension. PLAN: an asymmetrical open courtyard formed from an L-shaped former warehouse to the SE and SW, attached to a longer range to the NW, enclosing the lower end of the former parade ground fronted by the officer's quarters to High Street. Each range consists of single-depth stores, later soldier's rooms, separated by transverse passages with stairs, the longer SE range has 2 of these sections separated by a through-arch. Double-depth former offices attached at the E end of the NW range. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. NW 7-window, SW 5-window, SE 11-window ranges, with 2 storey 6-window office extension to NE end. NW and SW ranges have symmetrical fronts with later parapet, rubbed brick segmental-arched windows containing 8/8 pane sashes, and central entrance bays with altered doorways and taller former hoist doors above. SW range has a round-arched doorway in the W end and a flat-headed door to the E. SE range has a large central round through-arch with ashlar voussoirs, and similar fenestration as the other ranges; central former hoist bays of the flanking sections have mid C20 render; similar rear elevation. Former barracks office has rubbed brick flat arches to 6/6-pane sashes, doorway three from the left with boarded door, and a glazed verandah on iron columns extending across the centre and left sections; ridge and cross ridge stacks with cornices. INTERIOR: former warehouses have axial timber supports to heavy cross beams; NW range divided into two by a central entrance stair hall containing a stone dogleg stair with iron balusters, with doorways each side with fire-proof cast-iron frames. HISTORY: these warehouses built during the French wars were converted to create the Cambridge soldiers barracks, and formed part of the adjoining Clarence barracks when the officers' quarters were bought by the Grammar School in 1926.



The later NE block contained the CO's office. An interesting example of a traditional warehouse with some fire-proof details. Conversion of industrial buildings for barracks was a widespread use which predated the general use of purpose-built accommodation, of which this is a rare and little-altered example. It forms part of the only remaining complete barracks from an area just inside the former Portsmouth Lines formerly with a high concentration of soldier's accommodation. The irregular layout is a rare survival which reflects the cramped location of the old barracks.





Listing NGR: SZ6353399541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474785
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].