This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1333285

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Northleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 88766

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 19 NE NORTHLEIGH NORTHLEIGH 3/96 Church of St Giles - 22.2.55 GV II*

Parish church. Norman origins, C14 and late C15 - early C16, restored in 1858 and 1869. Local stone and flint rubble; Beerstone ashlar dressings, quoins and detail; slate roof. Plan: small church. Nave with narrower and lower chancel includes remains of a Norman door but is probably mostly C14, C19 south porch. The north aisle with chapel is probably late C15 - early C16 although some of the windows have been restored in the Decorated style. The vestry off the north side of the chapel is C19. The west tower is late C15 - early C16 although some of the windows have been restored in the Decorated style. The vestry off the north side of the chapel is C19. The west tower is late C15 - early C16. Exterior: west tower of 2 stages with low diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and semi-octagonal stair turret projecting from the north side. 2-light cinquefoil- head belfry windows. The west doorway is a 2-centred arch with moulded surround and above it a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and plain hoodmoulds. At the left (west) end of the south side of the nave is the south porch; it is gabled with a 2-centred outer arch and moulded surround and directly above is a tiny 2-light window with trefoil heads. The south doorway behind is a much-restored Norman arch with half-engaged piers and one scalloped capital and the other with volutes. Inside it is a plain C19 round-headed doorway. The windows on the south of the nave and chancel and north of the aisle are C19 replacements with Decorated tracery and hoodmoulds with carved foliage label stops to nave and chancel and human head label stops to the aisle. The nave has two 2-light windows, the chancel has 2 lancet windows and a large 3-light version in the east end and the aisle has four 2-light windows. Each end of the north aisle has a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: the nave, chancel and aisle have C19 open arch-braced truss roofs; the chancel roof with painted decoration. Tall tower arch with moulded surround. The chancel arch has a moulded surround and trefoil-headed panels on its soffit and jambs. The 3-bay arcade has low moulded piers (Pevsner's type A) and carved foliage capitals. A fourth arch (between chancel and north chapel) is like the chancel arch. The floor has a chequer pattern of C19 tiles. The walls are plastered. The image niche in the north wall may be original. C19 reredos is a blind arcade in Gothic style. C19 altar table. C20 altar rail in Gothic style. C19 Gothic style choir stalls. Restored C15 oak 3-bay chancel screen has linenfold panelled wainscotting, Perpendicular tracery (Pevsner's type B), coved head with Gothic decoration and undercut frieze and crest. There is a plainer version to the north chapel. The chapel has an original piscina and C17 altar table. Good C17 oak octagonal drum pulpit with panelled sides carved as a blind arcade with flowers and a frieze carved with acanthus leaves and scrolls. C20 lectern and C19 Gothic prayer desk. Oak benches with a very good and nearly complete set of late C15 - early C16 carved bench ends; wreathed foliage frames and most carvings are based on Perpendicular tracery with various enrichments such as heraldic devices. The bench frontals have linenfold panelling. The Beerstone font is Norman but has been heavily retooled. No memorials of more than local interest. East window of the chapel contains C15 stained glass depicting St Giles flanked by St Peter and St Paul. Other windows contain C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SY1958495873

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 19584 95873

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333285 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 07:42:36.

End of official listing