CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1334535
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GRINDSBROOK, EDALE, S33 7ZA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1334535.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:01:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GRINDSBROOK, EDALE, S33 7ZA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
Parish:
Edale
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 12322 85769

Details

SK 18 NW PARISH OF EDALE GRINDSBROOK MAIN STREET 3/53 (West Side) Church of the Holy Trinity GV II

Church. 1885-6, tower completed 1890, by William Dawes of Manchester. Coursed squared rock-faced gritstone with gritstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs with stone coped gables. Nave with south porch, chancel, south vestry and north east tower with short stone broach spire. Early English style with pairs and triplets of lancets to the nave and cusped lancets to the chancel. East window of three stepped lancets within a super-arch, west window of two 2-light windows with quatrefoils above and a cinquefoil in a circle above. Tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, the north east buttress incorporating a polygonal stair turret. Paired lancet bell-openings. Spire with one tier of lucarnes with cross finials. Base of north east buttress inscribed with date 1885. Bellcote on the eastern gable of the nave. Paired chimneystack rising from the eaves at the south east corner of the nave. Plain interior with substantil timber roofs. Stained glass in the north easternmost window of the nave, 1905 by Sir Ninian Comper. Above the south door, inside, are two benefaction boards dated 1831, from the old church.

Listing NGR: SK1232285769

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82513
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/15718/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morten. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].