Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1334550.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:08:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Dalbury Lees
National Grid Reference:
SK 26354 34282



Parish church. C13 with minor C18 alterations, restored 1844 and north aisle added. Ashlar and coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings and plain tile roofs with stone copings to east end of chancel and west end of nave. The nave also has a bellcote turret to its west end. Nave with north aisle, lower chancel, north vestry and south porch. West elevation of nave has central 2-light window with trefoil headed lights and pierced spandrels set in four-centred arched surround, with diagonal buttresses to either side. Above, a square stone bellcote with a central trefoil headed lancet to each side and moulded stringcourse with central gargoyle to south and west sides, topped by embattled parapets. North elevation has one small lancet to west, and to east the 1844 aisle has two triple lancet windows in flat headed chamfered surrounds to north and a similar 2-light window to west. The aisle also has diagonal buttresses to its northern corners and low ridgeback coped parapets. To east, the chancel has a C19 lancet, and beyond is the gabled north vestry with two adjoining lancets to north and a blocked C13 chamfered lancet to east. The east window is one large pointed window with tracery missing. South chancel elevation has central chamfered pointed doorcase with studded wooden door and to either side, a pair of adjoining lancets, those to west are C13 but only the eastern lancet of the other pair is original, the other was added in the C19 arid the stone was cut back to form a flatheaded surrounds as in the nave aisle windows. South nave elevation has C19 gabled brick porch with stone coped gable and pointed doorcase. To east is a C19 chamfered lancet and beyond are four adjoining lancets of which only the western two are original. To west of the porch is a single C13 lancet. The inner door is also C13 with staff moulded, pointed arch. Interior has 1844 two bay north arcade with pointed, chamfered arches, a central polygonal pier with moulded capital and plain responds to either end, also with moulded capitals. Similar C13 pointed chancel arch on plain responds. To west end of nave, two large rubble walls, either side of the central window, support the bellcote above;. Between the walls to east is a segmental, staff moulded arch and above is a line of continuous dogtooth decoration. All roofs are C19, and in the nave, extra C19 carving has been added to the sides of the beams. To the west of the nave is a mid C17, ornately carved stone font with mid C19 weighted cover of sumptuous design. The nave also has a complete set of C19 box pews, an early C20 cusped marble pulpit, a carved and painted coat of arms on the south wall, and a superb, probably C12, stained glass window of St Michael. The chancel has a flat headed niche on the north wall and beyond, to east, is a deeply chamfered doorcase through to the north vestry. The altar rails, choir pews and the east window stained glass are all C19. There is also a fine C18 mahogany organ to the north wall. Several memorials in the chancel, the best of which is one of 1708 to the Harris family, a marble oval plaque resting an angel head corbel and topped by an urn finial. Also one of 1855 to Charles Cotton with a Gothic aedicule.

Listing NGR: SK2635434282


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11505/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].