Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1334611.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:59:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Derbyshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 25405 17198



Parish church. C12, extended and renovated 1843 and heavily restored 1865. Coursed and random rubble stone with stone dressings. Banded blue and red plain tile roof with stone coped gables, eastern gable surmounted by ridge cross and western gable surmounted by gabled C19 bellcote. This has cusped pointed bell arches flanked by stepped buttresses with attached shaft between, plus inset quatrefoils above. Simple plan with small nave, lower chancel, north vestry and south porch. West elevation has a pointed C19 2-light geometric tracery window and stepped angle buttresses to either corner. North elevation of nave has a small central blocked C12 door flanked by C19 lancets with trefoil tracery. To east is a small C12 semi-circular headed window and beyond is a C19 vestry with a similar C19 lancet to north side. Chancel has a small C12 window to north elevation and a C19 2-light pointed geometric tracery east window with continuous sill band below and flanking clasping stepped buttresses. South elevation of chancel has a pointed 2-light C19 window with cusped lights and central trefoil. To west, the nave has a stepped gableted buttress to east corner and two C19 lancets, similar to those on north elevation, to either side of off-centre gabled C19 porch, plus a C12 window between the porch and the eastern lancet. The porch has a double chamfered doorcase with carved head stops to the hoodmould, angle buttresses, small trefoil headed windows to either side and stone coped gable with ridge cross. All C19 openings have hoodmoulds and alternating red and yellow stone relieving arches over. Inner door is a much restored semi-circular headed C12 door. Interior has a wide moulded C19 chancel arch with soffit moulding on attached shafts. Chancel has a pointed moulded doorcase on north side into the vestry, which has carved head stops to the hoodmould. It also has C17 style panelling to sides, a carved alabaster reredos, metal altar railings and carved wooden rails across the chancel arch; all these are probably contemporary with the restoration. Nave is simple and has an arched braced roof, simple bench pews and a small stone font with octagonal bowl decorated with cable mouldings, set on a column. To west wall of nave there are three re-set alabaster memorial slabs to members of the Sanders family, each with incised acanthus leaf decoration to the edges, dated 1652, 1653 and 1616. Also on west wall is a white marble wall memorial to Joseph Clay who died 1839. North wall of the nave has three enamelled brass wall memorials, one to Sir Thomas Gresley of Cauldwell Hall who died 1868 and the other two to Laura Williams and Joan Gresley who died in 1900 and 1901 respectively. The chancel has a simple alabaster memorial of c1960 and a brass memorial to Sir Henry Des Vieux of Drakelow Hall of c1875. Stained glass, all C19 and C20, all C12 windows with bright Chartres style stained glass probably c1865. There are similar style stained glass roundels in west window. Chancel has late C19 figurative glass to east window and c1900 figurative glass to south window in memory of Frank Mulligan. East window on north side of nave has a commemorative stained glass window to Francis Meynell who died 1932 and central north nave window has a war memorial stained glass window of c1918.

Listing NGR: SK2540517198


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05568/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Maxine Higgs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].