CANNON MILL INCLUDING MILL WHEEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1334686
Date first listed:
13-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CANNON MILL INCLUDING MILL WHEEL, DOCK WALK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1334686.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2021 at 12:19:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CANNON MILL INCLUDING MILL WHEEL, DOCK WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Chesterfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK 37496 70842

Details

DOCK WALK 1. 5169 --------- Cannon Mill including Mill Wheel SK 47 SE 13/4 13.3.68.

II

2. Modern plaque: "This building known as Canon Mill is one of the oldest industrial buildings in Chesterfield and district having been erected prior to 1788. It formed part of the Griffin Foundry of John and Ebenezer Smith and Co. 1775-1833. Restored 1957". Square red brick building. Pantile roof with slate verges and copded gable end with ornamental cresting. 2 storeys. 3 blank Gothic arches in eastern facade. Oval cast iron plaque with portrait of cannon with cannon balls and dated 1816. This building was formerly part of a cannon foundry. Large overshot iron water wheel. Ref. Nixon F p's 128, 129 and 237.

Listing NGR: SK3749670842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
83339
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nixon, F, Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire, (1969), 128-9,237

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12893/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Wolfe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].