CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1335406

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:52:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Alfreton

National Grid Reference: SK 40731 55885

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 40 55 NE ALFRETON CHURCH STREET (north side) 8/9 Church of St Martin 13.7.66

GV II*

Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored and north aisle and south chancel bay added 1868 by T C Hine, chancel enlarged 1899-1901, also with c1930 hall. Ashlar with leaded roofs to south aisle and porch, plain tile roof to chancel and graduated slate roofs elsewhere. Western tower, five bay nave with clerestory to south side, south aisle gabled, north aisle and lower chancel with north vestry, also later hall added to north of north aisle. Deep moulded plinth throughout. C15 three stage west tower has stepped diagonal buttresses to eaves height and stringcourses between the stages. Deeply moulded pointed west door with large 3-light Perpendi- cular window with transom across lower lights, above. This was moved from the east end by T C Hine in 1868. Clockface to second stage south side. Bell stage with pointed 2-light louvred openings with flowing tracery. Slightly projecting embattled parapets over with central gargoyles to each side and crocketed corner pinnacles. Large gabled north aisle has shallow pointed 5-light west window with Perpendicular tracery. Stone coped gable and ridge cross above. North elevation has five 3-light four-centred arched windows with cusped tracery, one window now used as doorcase in 1930 hall to north which is of no special interest. East window of aisle is of 4-lights with geometric tracery. Chancel has small vestry to west, with flat headed doorcase and cusped single light window to north and 2-light Perpendicular style window to east. Beyond to east is an attached C19 wall memorial, a stepped buttress and a 2-light pointed window with flowing tracery. East window of 5 lights with geometric tracery. Stepped sill band below and flanking diagonal buttresses. Near base of wall, a fine early C18 stone wall memorial with flame finial flanked by sculls to the Turner family and above two datestones, one inscribed 'AD MDCCCC' the other 'Laus Deo Aug XV MDCCCLXIX'. South elevation of chancel has stepped sill band, central stepped buttress and two 2-light pointed windows with flowing tracery. Aisle bay against the chancel has segment headed 3-light windows with unusual Perpendicular tracery to east and south. South aisle, to west, has four similar windows with stepped buttresses between and gabled south porch between western two. Porch has double chamfered pointed doorcase with carved eaves band over and ogee headed niche with C19 statue. Above five flat headed clerestory windows with flowing tracery. All openings have hoodmoulds with carved head stops. Interior 5 bay north and south arcades of double chamfered pointed arches with continuous hoodmoulds and foliage stops, south arcade is original, and has octagonal piers with moulded capitals, northern arcade C19 with columns. Both arcades have thickened piers one bay west of chancel arch. Tower has double chamfered pointed arch on octagonal responds with moulded capitals, chancel has similar arch on half shafts with foliage capitals, both have C19 timber screens across.

Listing NGR: SK4073155885

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 79052

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing