CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1335409
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, ELMTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335409.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 17:11:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, ELMTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Bolsover (District Authority)
Parish:
Elmton
National Grid Reference:
SK 52572 74295

Details

SK 57 SW PARISH OF ELMTON WITH CRESWELL ELMTON ROAD,CRESWELL 5/121 (South Side) Church of St Mary Magdalene II

Parish church. 1899, aisles added in 1914, tower in 1927, all by LAmbler, for the Duke of Portland. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with chamfered copings to gables and parapets. Nave with lean-to aisles, north-west tower, west narthex, chancel with north chapel and vestry. Chamfered plinth. The tower has tall gabletted angle buttresses. West doorway with moulded arch and hoodmould on foliage stops. Pair of plank doors. On the north side is a 2-light window with reticulation unit. Inscribed stone below with the date of the erection of the tower. At first floor level to south, west and north are flat-arched 2-light windows with cusped ogee lights. Large paired bell-openings in each direction, each one of two cusped ogee lights. Stair turret in the north-west angle has four tiers of small lancets on three sides. Four-bay north aisle divided by buttresses with two set-offs. Each bay has a 3-light window with through mullions and ogee tracery to the outer lights. Gabled bay to the left has a 2-light window with reticulation unit. Moulded doorway to the vestry. Unequal twin-gabled east elevation has a 2-light window with reticulation unit to the lower part and a circular window of two traceried ovals. Foundation stone below dated 1899. The south side of the chancel is of two bays divided by a buttress with two set-offs. Two-light windows with reticulation units. South aisle has a similar 2-light east window and a doorway with plain chamfered arch. Four-bay south elevation matching that to the north. Flat-roofed west narthex has a diagonal buttress at the corner and flat-arched 2-light windows to west and south, with cusped ogee lights. West entrance has moulded arch and pair of plank doors. Interior: Four-bay arcades have single chamfered arches without capitals. Moulded chancel arch on semi-octagonal responds. King post roof with arched tie-beams on corbels. Early C20 timber furnishings; pews, choir stalls, communion rails, altar with carved panels, dado and reredos. War memorial chapel on the north side has a carved reredos. Octagonal Dec style font.

Listing NGR: SK5257274295



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
79291
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14184
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14182

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13070/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John G Hinchcliffe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].