KIRKLINTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1335577
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1974
Statutory Address:
KIRKLINTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of KIRKLINTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335577 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 19:45:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
KIRKLINTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Hethersgill
National Grid Reference:
NY 43552 67392

Details

NY 46 NW HETHERSGILL KIRKLINTON

3/86 Kirklinton Hall

10.9.74 II

House. Core possibly of c1661 (using stone from nearby Levington Hall) for Edmund Appleby, with extensive extensions of 1875 for the Kirklinton-Saul family. Calciferous sandstone coursed rubble, with dressed stone and ashlar; roof mostly removed, but graduated slate where it remains, stone chimney stacks. 2 and 3 storeys, numerous bays in roughly E-shape. Core of 3 storeys, 5 bays with rendered front and 3 storey, 4 bay wing of coursed rubble facing road. Central entrance renewed: round headed doorway flanked by twin Doric columns on supporting plinth. Ground and first floor sash windows with architraves and entablatures with pulvinated friezes. Left-hand window of ground floor attached to a door. Second floor has square windows with wooden casements, similar entablatures and friezes with shaped gables and modillion eaves cornice, all added in 1875. Wing facing road had sash windows (now mostly removed) and gable ends treated to match the Jacobean style additions. 1875 additions are 2 storeys with attic in ashlar. One wing matches that facing road, the other is a very large L-shaped block added to it. The matching wing has shaped gable ends, an escutcheon in the gable and shell niches above ground floor entrance and first floor triple window (imparting to each a Venetian window flavour). The short piece of the L which corresponds to the earlier house, is 3 bays with projecting right-hand side and cornice above ground and first floors. Shaped gable dormer with finial in centre. The long part of the L has 5 symmetric bays and one at the south-west end. 3 window ashlar bow in centre with balustraded parapet. Triple windows to second and sixth bays, single to first, third and fifth. Shaped gable dormers to second, fourth and sixth bays, first, third and fifth have plain segmental hoods. Rear of north- west wing treated similarly in coursed rubble with central ashlar projection flanked by 3-window bays. Empty and dilapidated at time of survey, roof being stripped of slates.

Listing NGR: NY4355267392

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
77877
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12247/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].