CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1335596
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CASTLE CARROCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335596.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:31:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CASTLE CARROCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Castle Carrock
National Grid Reference:
NY 54357 55413

Details

NY 55 NW 5/5

CASTLE CARROCK Church of St Peter

1.4.57

G. II Church. On medieval site, rebuilt 1828 and restored 1888 (both dates on weather vane on tower). Cement rendered walls on chamfered plinth, red sandstone raised quoins with V-joints. Small square 3-storey west tower/porch; 4 bay nave/chancel, with north vestry of 1888. Tower: studded plank door has semicircular coloured glass fanlight and keyed entablature: external steps left give access to belfry, which has louvred vents and pyramidal roof. Nave/chancel: round-arched windows and 3-light east window. Interior: barrel vaulted plank ceiling: wooden painted panel of arms of Queen Anne: pews and furnishings of late C19. East window by E.R. Suffling & Co, 1888; other stained glass, one signed Swaine Bourne 1883. Inscribed grave slab in chancel to John de Beghokirk, who was appointed Rector in 1346.

Listing NGR: NY5435755413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
77996
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09867/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Thornton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].