CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1335624
Date first listed:
01-May-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335624 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:50:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Beaumont
National Grid Reference:
NY 34811 59298

Details

NY 35 NW BEAUMONT Beaumont

5/4 Church of St Mary 1/5/57 II*

Church. Late C12 with restorations of 1784, 1872 and 1888. Squared and coursed red and calciferous sandstone (from the nearby Roman Wall) on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. Nave/chancel of 5 bays with west open bellcote, south porch and north vestry. Timbered C19 porch; entrance with reused Norman arch of 2 orders, engaged columns with waterleaf capitals. Pointed lancet windows of 1888, small original trefoil-head window is suggested lepers' squint. C12 3-light east window; 2-light west window is C19. Interior has C15 king-post open timber roof. Piscina dated MDCCCLXXII and possible aumbry recess. East end has late C12 arcade continued on north wall but stops short of south wall; C19 stained glass. West wall: 2 medieval grave slabs. Late C19 furnishings and fittings. Built on the site of a turret on the Roman Wall.

Listing NGR: NY3481159298

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78189
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/08711/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Sinclair. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].